Clean power required for Step-down from 24V to 12V and 5V for a Arduino Raspberry Pi circuit

mdbirley

Joined Jun 25, 2019
I have a battery powered mobile project that consumes about 1.3 amps. The electronics consist of a dual antenna RTK Gps (5V), Arduino Due (input >16V) and Raspberry pi 3+ (5v) and a few other sensors.

I currently run this on 2 by 6000mah 3 S 11.1v lipo batteries in parallel. The batteries have been around for some time and seem to drain a little faster than expected. When charged they do get to 91% so I think they are basically ok . In the past I have tried a SLA 7ah batteries but that produced an under voltage on the pi.
Because the electronics are quite power hungry and I want longer run times, I want to move to larger lipos say 10,000- 16,000mah but they are all 6S ie 22.2 volt and will require a larger step down in voltage.

So I will need a step down regulator from 22.2 to 11.1 and to 5volts

So what is my issue.
In association with the above I am also trying to fix another issue that may be connected to the current step down regulator. The Arduino Due on occasions gets locked up/crashes (not reset). I do use a voltage regulator from 11.1 v to 5v for the majority of the electronics. I am still investigating the reason for the hangups. I think it could be due to spikes from my current regulator. I am using an internet cheapee the ZK-SJVA-4X.
in case it is related to the current step down I want to try better cleaner versions

if anyone can recommend both a 22v to 12v and a 12v to 5 v step down transformer that is 100% ok with sensitive micro controllers that can handle upto 4 amps peak and 2 amp continuous I would be very grateful.

best regards

Max

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

The ubiquitous buck-boost converter modules available on eBay and elsewhere will provide consistent power. Some are fixed (usually to 5V) and some are variable. They will be far more efficient than regulators and should do what you want.

mdbirley

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

The ubiquitous buck-boost converter modules available on eBay and elsewhere will provide consistent power. Some are fixed (usually to 5V) and some are variable. They will be far more efficient than regulators and should do what you want.
Thanks for your reply....regarding the second point can these type of modules also produce power spikes as well that could cause an Arduino to hang up? or should I look at other potential causes

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is nothing about the module that should produce spikes or sags but if you are concerned a capacitor on the output could mitigate anything that might happen.