Clean a PCB that got wet

marcus_44

Joined Nov 20, 2022
Hi all!
My gate remote controller got wet and now it works only the first time I connect the batteries, after that nothing, I have to pull the batteries and insert them again and it will work for once again.
You can see it in the attached picture, how can I clean it? (If that will solve the problem.)

P.s. The "hat" in the title should have been "that", but it seems that I can't edit it.

Mod: cleaned up the image.

IMG_20221120_165154__01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

I'd try isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't work well enough, you can use dish soap and water with a toothbrush. Be gentle scrubbing and make sure the board is completely dry before applying power.

If that doesn't help, there are harsher cleaners you can try.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
After washing with dish soap, rinse well with IPA.

When you cannot be sure that the board is completely dry (e.g. smartphone), enclose in a zip lock plastic bag packed with a drying agent such as silica gel or uncooked rice grains as a poor substitute. Leave for many days, how long?... at least 2 to 5 days.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
A careful, gentle blow over with a ladies hair dryer will get the PCB dry.
Don't overheat,
Also, a good rinse in clean water to remove any soap residue before drying.

E

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a small electric oven in which I place recently washed/cleaned PCBs and set it to "warm plate", which raises the temperature to about 60°C. After a few hours the entire assembly is guaranteed to be bone dry and with virtually zero chances of damage.