Class AB push pull amplifier with VBE multiplier biasing

zsquare

Joined May 8, 2012
I have to design a Class AB push pull amplifier with VBE multiplier biasing and using a pnp current mirror to bias the VBE multiplier.

I am using OrCAD, with Q2N2222 and Q2N2907A βf=50 and Is=14.34f for both types of transistors.

I attached the schematic for circuit that i have so far, but it's not working, as the output at R6 only shows the bottom half of the wave and it's not really amplifying the input.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

zsquare

Joined May 8, 2012
The VBE multiplier biasing means the biasing current is from the current mirror.

I made the change to the current mirror and this is what i got as for vo vs. vin.

Attachments

zsquare

Joined May 8, 2012
putting that ground helped a lot, as the current mirror does give me the bias current that i need, but my output wave just seems to be offset by a constant value, and is not really amplifying the input.

Should the problems be that my resistor values at R1 and R2 are off?

Attachments

When Q3 is "on", ie. conducting, it's Vbe is about 0.7 volts. That is the only thing between Vin and Vout. A little more complicated for Q6 conducting, but still can be easily checked.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's kind of set R2 and adjust R1 as you go. The point is to get the right idle current for Q3 and Q6 and it depends on the output transistors you use. Q1 is also supposed to be thermally coupled to the output transistors.