Clarification on high voltage connectors

Elerion

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a connector suitable for 200-300 VDC.
Didn't find much options out there.

This one is rated for 250 V (and much higher dielectric strength voltage), but "NOT to be used as an AC mains or power supply connector":
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl4fx

Could it be used on 250 VDC? Why not on 120 VAC? (peak voltage is less than 250V)

This one is suitable for 250 VAC:
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nac3mpa-1

But it doesn't say anything about DC.
The thing is, I once read that we shouldn't use IEC connectors (those used for 230VAC) for any DC high voltage (not even for voltages in the range 200-230VDC). But don't remember what the reason was.

I'd appreciate any clarification on this matter.
Thanks!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
On the subject of the neutrik connectors, I wonder how much of it has to do with safety... I know a lot of these are used in pro audio especially on sets and around stages. It would be really bad to mistakenly connect a mains connector to a speaker or amp or visa versa... so there may be a standard interlocking design designated for mains vs others...

I don't see why 40A continuous speaker connector rated at 250V AC couldn't in theory be used for mains... just not smart to do that when same connector is being used for audio... could be deadly.

Elerion

Joined Sep 11, 2017
What current?
What conditions is it used in?
100-200 mA.
To be used for connecting a high voltage power supply to tube equipment.
Indoors. Home enviroment.

It would be really bad to mistakenly connect a mains connector to a speaker or amp or visa versa...
Sure. But this is not for general public, but to be used by someone who knows what that connector is carrying.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sure. But this is not for general public, but to be used by someone who knows what that connector is carrying.
You say this like you believe there really is a difference. Complacency ,rushing, frustration, and fatigue factors are extremely dangerous for highly trained personal.
unnamed-file.jpg
Physical safety systems like totally incompatible plugs are extremely important.

Last edited:

Zaishens

Joined May 20, 2019
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a connector suitable for 200-300 VDC.
Didn't find much options out there.

This one is rated for 250 V (and much higher dielectric strength voltage), but "NOT to be used as an AC mains or power supply connector":
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl4fx

Could it be used on 250 VDC? Why not on 120 VAC? (peak voltage is less than 250V)

This one is suitable for 250 VAC:
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nac3mpa-1

But it doesn't say anything about DC.
The thing is, I once read that we shouldn't use IEC connectors (those used for 230VAC) for any DC high voltage (not even for voltages in the range 200-230VDC). But don't remember what the reason was.

I'd appreciate any clarification on this matter.
Thanks!
The second connector you linked is tested according to the IEC 61984:2008 "This International Standard applies to connectors with rated voltages above 50 V and up to 1000 V a.c. and d.c.". So I would say no issue there, the risk of confusing it with a regular AC connector is present ofcourse. So it's better to use a dedicated connector for this, for example: E1016 plugs

Elerion

Joined Sep 11, 2017
You say this like you believe there really is a difference.
I agree. 100%. But keep in mind that this connector is to be attached to the end of a power supply fixed cord. It's quite easy to remember. Nevertheless I agree it is not the ideal solution.

So it's better to use a dedicated connector for this, for example: E1016 plugs
Those are very expensive.
Does anyone know an alternative?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
UL and CSA - is North America.

IEC - is International looks like there are test conditions listed... it's nice that the breaking capacity is tested at 220 vs 110 (common in NA)

There may be different requirements for each in terms of temprature rise and such... All in all those connectors are very nice. Easily run 50A through them... I wouldn't hesitate to use them for your requirement.

When in doubt look at the datasheet and the charts which show the temp rise for given current.

For instance this note:
NOTE 2: Amp ratings are stated per position and based on all
positions being fully loaded.
¹ Based on: 105°C rated or better cable of the largest size, Properly
calibrated APP recommended tooling, and a 25°C ambient
temperature. UL rating not to exceed the maximum operating
temperature. CSA rating below a 30°C temperature rise.

Elerion

Joined Sep 11, 2017
When in doubt look at the datasheet and the charts which show the temp rise for given current.
Well, I really don't need current... it will only carry 250 mA max...

But, how is it possible that under some tests/commision/rules (UL, IEC,...) the voltage rating varies from 250 to 600? Isn't it too much difference? This is why I suspect I'm missing something.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
UL is tested to max temp of insulation... 105C with 25C ambient.

CSA is tested to 30 C rise.

using 200mA I would go with the 600V limit. Really the voltage limit is based on insulation and temperature for failure... with 200mA this would not be the concern.