circuits simulation software

anaskoara

Joined Mar 25, 2008
Hi
I am new to electronics and I have not use any electronics components yet I just read book and for test I use software to simulate the circuit
I am using program named "electronics workbench 5.12"
But I read in some place that its simulation is not always correct and sometimes it fails
anyone test this program and do you have better suggestion
thanks

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Hi anaskoara.

I also use Multisim. From my experience, the biggest problem I've run into, so far, is that Multisim is in a perfect world. For instance, there have been times when real breadboard measurements differ greatly from Multisim readings.

In my case, it was due to the impedence of the multimeter in contrast to that of the circuit. After this happened a couple of times, I started adjusting my Multisim source values to those that the meter read, regardless of what the source actually was (for learning purposes only). Everything worked out fine, then.

More importantly, though, I've found the simulator to be of great value in helping me better understand concepts and theoretical workings. But my professor told me, as well, not to rely too much on simulators. Hope this helps a little.

I have not tried MultiSim, but if you are dissatisfied, there are other free programs out there. At first I used PSpice, but this has been discontinued by Cadence and is no longer supported. Another alternative is LTSpice/SWCadIII (SwitcherCad) from Linear Tech. This software can take error into account (internal resistance of capacitors, etc). However, it extensively requires the use of Spice commands, which are a little like a new programming language. You can do the basics without them, like building and simulating circuits, and its user interface will build Spice commands for you. As for support, its built in help is really pretty sad. Just a long list of Spice commands with syntax. Not much on the actual building of the circuits. There are plenty of tutorials on the web, though.

Mr. Mik

Joined Oct 26, 2010
Which of the simulation programmes is most easy to use?

With that I mean particularly no need to type any cryptic (to me!) code. I'd prefer to drop components into the circuit from a menu.

Ideally, the program would allow to draw a conventional circuit diagram and run simulations and somehow help to turn it into a PCB onece finished.

I have only used this one so far: http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

It seems very easy to use, produces the code (for sharing) without ever needing to type or even understand any code, and it is free.

But I think it is fairly limited in it's capabilities, for example there is no optocoupler available (yet?).

Another program I have used for "static" schematics is ExpressSCH. It's companion ExpressPCB is apparently for turning the circuit into a PCB design, but I have not tried that out yet.

What are typically the problems and pitfalls when using simulation programs?

Thanks for any answers!

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Its a problem that occurs in all simulations. You just can't fully simulate all real world conditions, this goes for uC simulators, to flight and race car simulators. Usually it won't effect you to much but it will throw off calculations every now and again.