Circuitboard wiring help? Component help

abstracthought

Joined Mar 4, 2007
I am working in a project in which I am using an RGB controller connected to string sets of parallel wired series of led lights. I have everything calculated but am looking to clean up the job. Rather than having all the resistors soldered in-line I want to run them on a circuit board. Can I wire the circuit board the same way as I would wire the resistors in-line? Or do I need extra components to make the circuit run? Just using the circuit board as a way of neatly connecting my resistors? I havent wired a circuit board before and would appreciate any help.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
None of the components will care if they are crimped, soldered, nutted, wire-wrapped, on a circuit board, on a breadboard, inline, or artfully crafted as part of a sculpture. (Google "BEAM photovore" for components as part of a sculpture.) As long a the current pathways match your schematic, you real LEDs will function the same as your simulated LEDs.

Note that this would not be true of circuits affected by stray capacitance and stray inductance.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Sure, there are a few ways to do that.

Make a professional looking board. That would take a while but would be worth it for a long term device. You'd need copper clad board of the right size, maskant, etchant and a plastic tub big enough to lay the board in. It's beyond the scope of this forum really. There's very good information on it on other sites.

Take a copper clad board that's big enough for everything, draw where you want the traces to be and then etch off enough material so that you have the electrical path and mounting point for the resistors. I don't know what kind of resistors those are but you can surface mount through hole leaded ones instead of drilling holes for them. I can explain that further if you wish.

Use a prototyping board that has holes with copper areas around them, you then solder the components in and use solid bus wire to run the 'traces'.