Circuit problem with custom made camera

dompote

Joined Nov 20, 2015
Hi. I am hoping somebody may be able to help me out with this. I have a custom-made camera which somebody made for me some year back. Unfortunately I am unable to trace the engineer I commissioned to make it for me so I can't go back to him. There seems to be a problem with the circuit. Please see attached photo and diagram. It seemed that the sliding on/off switch was faulty as when I turn it on it no longer stays on, but goes on and off, depending on how I wiggle the switch. So my idea was to replace this switch. But when I looked at it in detail, I noticed that when I remove the ethernet cable from the ethernet port (top right corner) the switch works fine. I can tell this as there is a buzzer to tell me when the power is on or off. The ethernet port is used for a connection to a motor (not shown) on the camera. An ethernet cable is simply inserted into this port and the power is then supplied to the motor which is in a separate unit. The only thing I can think of is that there is a reset button on the circuit (I think this is the 'wire link' on the left-hand circuit diagram) which is used when I insert a new film in the camera. This button does the same as turning the unit off and on. I recall the maker of this telling me that I can use this button to reset or simply turn the unit off and on again. I just wonder if this reset button could be the cause. I'm sorry I can't be too technical about this...I'm just hoping there may be a way to solve this. Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks, Dominic

cam-circuit.jpg cam-cir-diagram.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Does the camera work ok without the motor attached,if so could be the motor is jammed,or switch dirty,
Short out the switch terminals with a screwdriver.

Last edited:

dompote

Joined Nov 20, 2015
I should clarify, this is a camera control unit rather than a camera in itself. This unit is used to control a motor which rolls film through a camera at varying speeds.
So, if it is a low resistance fault, this would simply be case of replacing the sliding switch? Would be great if it's that simple!
Maybe I should try this first.

dompote

Joined Nov 20, 2015
YES! When I short it out with the two outer prongs connected, it works fine! So, what is the cause, the switch?
Many thanks...