Circuit in Proteus with 4 errors

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Your DW definetly has some nice potential of building logic gates, I admit I started to understand it and I like it because it works !!! Its the only reason I like it. I swear. It has a ton of problems left unresolved and unpolished. If I had the logic script of the program, the core of how everything is linked and working, if I understand that part, I CAN build a similar simulator myself, in c# language that I know very well and im good enough in it, especially on building windows applications.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I find this detail some time ago but I want to show it here as well:
Screenshot_4.jpg
You are right mister @dl324 , ISIS(Proteus) does not allow a wire to 'float', exactly like in your DigitalWorks program !
In a sense, every electronic simulator there is, will have problems with floating wires. I didnt think (too hard) on this detail. I did it like I would do it in reality. Lesson learned then.
So that was my biggest mistake with the floating wires. I didnt finish debugging that skematic with the 8bit computer, yet. Im just pointing out an important mistake I made in it.
How is your evolution? Slow and hard? Mine too. Haha.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
How is your evolution? Slow and hard? Mine too.
I entered all of the circuitry and decided it was so large that it was too difficult to troubleshoot or observe, so I made macros for each of the blocks and re-did it. DW's inability to zoom in and out is a real hinderance in this case. I corrected a couple wiring errors, but it isn't working yet. I'm working on other things that are more interesting at the moment, but I'll get back to it when I don't have other things I want/need to do more.

It went from this:
1635606609986.png
to this:

1635606676657.png

Last edited:

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
so, you basically finish it and is not working for you either? Wow, thats something then. I think there is definetly some details on how to connect these IC's or some mistake in the original diagram. Thank you for your update !

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So far, I'm not thinking that there's a mistake. I did some searching and found that some schools are using that as a project and didn't see anyone making corrections. I had to read that chapter because we never covered the 8080 at that level of detail when I was learning how to use our Altair "computer". I plan to keep working on it until it's working. I just got sidetracked with installing and configuring Debian on an old P4 computer I had.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Dont worry about me, Im very glad you got hooked up with this very troublesome project, that I find it very intriguing as well. At least, so far, with all the "non-working" stage im at, I am glad that I really got a very good idea about logic circuits in general, and this project is using a very large portion of the logic gates (if not all of them).
My crazy idea is to start over the entire circuit again, but this time, testing every step, every connection, until I find the bug. The first time I build it I stepped through each circuit described in the book, in that order. Now, I will use --whatever-- circuit I please or I think is more close to discover the bug.
If you need assistance with your software installation, I can help you. Though I never installed any Debian OS in my life. I never heard of Debian OS until you, haha. But im generally good with software so im counting on that. Dont hesitate and ask me anything. Or describe any problem you are stuck into. P4 = pentium 4 = 486 processor? = made around y1990?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Though I never installed any Debian OS in my life. I never heard of Debian OS until you, haha.
Debian is the Linux variant that a couple ARM "computers" I'm using (C.H.I.P. and Raspberry Pi) are based on. Software installs are fairly trivial now. What I was trying to do was install more fonts for my xterms. I botched something and broke vncserver on my Pi and needed to make an updated image. I had a half dozen SD cards that became write only and I got to checking them for any files I wanted to keep and seeing if I could bring any back to life (one resurrected so far).
P4 = pentium 4 = 486 processor? = made around y1990?
Yup, a very old architecture from 2000-2008. I have a dozen motherboards and boxes with Pentium 4 processors and they're more than capable of running Linux. My first dedicated Linux computer was a Willamette with 256MB of memory. It was able to run all of the Windows applications I tried at the time.

Since all of my computers are ineligible for Win11, I'm thinking about ditching Windows and going with Linux. My thinking was that the only other MS software I use is Office and I could switch to LibreOffice. It turns out that that isn't as easy as I thought. After using Office for so many decades, I've become accustomed to it. I tried using Calc and Writer and found it very frustrating. I'll probably end up running Office under Wine. I have valid licenses for several versions of Office because I was able to get them at a large discount through the company I worked at.

I also spent some time trying to figure out how to log into WSL from my Linux computers. I wish Microsoft had done the port forwarding both ways.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
My friend, mister @dl324,
- Thanks for your updates. I understood -some- of what you describe there. You have definitely another world with very diferent software that I never put my hands on. I was/am only a Microsoft user all my life. My good thoughts for you, even if I dont really get all of your issues you have there, is jump into dedicated forums, for linux, debian, whatever, and ask your problems to them. They may have answers you forget or not used anymore. Its how I would do it. There is an option to run an OS inside another OS. For example, your OS is Linux but you install inside it a software that will keep a complete functional windows installation. All on a single PC. There is another way, to install 2xOS in paralel, when the PC is booting, will promt you with a choice to open X or Y OS. These are the alternatives I never try, but I know they exist and I see others use them.
- Personally, I trust more the old software. Because is tested in time. I am currently still using win7 because it works the way I like it and I heavily customize it over time. Instead of [UPgrading] you can always [DOWNgrade]. It is exactly what I did some time ago. Im speaking from personal experience. Some new shit with new updates come in waves after waves and I just couldn't handle it. I simply and totally dislike their "new" and bulshit way of doing things. My bright idea was to revert to the stuff that worked excellent and I was very accustom and familiar and experienced with, years in row. And that's what I exactly did. I revert to win7 and now, the new software, (some specific ones) I don't even look on them, because I have the old and very capable and trusty software that is doing 10 times more work than the farts are now flying on the internet. I even managed to make some of my own software, but thats another story. My inspiration for you is to downgrade, learn from my experience. Don't throw away something that worked years for you just because at the moment you are a bit confuse in your choise of what to use. We all got though this. In a sense, you are going back, but very extreme, to you P5. Which is a bit too much back in my personal opinion. But it is downgrading as I did as well. My idea was to get on the very silver line between when everything goes to shit, and the remaining good and proper software. So I am somewhere there, from win7 perspective. I still test the new stuff and rapidly discard the retarded, and keep under testing, the new, until I decide if is better to keep or not.
I hope my piece of experience helps you somehow.
- A funny thing: I have right now very new hardware on my PC: - I have AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core Processor, and Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070. Some new games (and possibly new software) but I know for sure a couple of games, come out specifically to work best with my Videocard. They even promote my videocard on their game poster. They appear after I bought it. I was surprised to catch this detail. And guess what? It worked but I had like 10 crashes per minute. The game crashed numerous times, and glitches in game. Wow. But I discovered the cause, it was because the OS. They were built to use DX12 ONLY on w10. But I had DX11 on w7. And that was it. And they dont let you upgrade DX11 to 12, because OS incompatibility. What a total bullshit. Haha. Right? Well, I get my mind straight about this now. I am very aware I can not use some of the new stuff, simply because OS and its DX and because is old. And guess what? I dont give a shit. Why? Because, like I stated already, I have tens of very competent (older) software that is doing 10 times more functionalities that the new BLACK stuff (to not say sh*t). Haha. Yet another story, but a true one, and it tell you how I deal with the problem. Like i said, I am trying to stay on a silver line (the american expression) between what is good and bad, including the hardware and software. Not all software got retarded. Some are still kicking and they still work with w7 very well. So im counting on that and it is exactly like that in reality, but you have to test a lot. Now is harder to get something good than before, when everything was good and you couldn't decide which to use, because they were all very good. Haha.
- About win11, I watched this guy with a funny accent, which does a Very comprehensive description of it:
and from what he says, win11 is hardware dependent with not older than 2019. The monopoly of Microsoft. Haha. The ONLY-ONLY single thing I like about w11 is its starting color scheme, very close to w7, light and bright. That's it. The middle buttons like in makintosh, turned me OFF completely. But everything is customizable and we can make it look and behave like a w7 if we really want to. The problem is when you enter in another user PC and you cant do anything because it is not as customized as yours and you cant do anything in it. Haha. (For example) I know how to customize very well w10, but I have no idea how to use it, at least from its retarded BLACK windows commander interface. Haha.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There is an option to run an OS inside another OS. For example, your OS is Linux but you install inside it a software that will keep a complete functional windows installation. All on a single PC.
Win 10 has the ability to run Linux distributions through WSL. They started with Ubuntu, then added others, so I'm able to run Debian on Win10. I was hoping that Microsoft would make the ability to mount ext4 partitions generally available in the 21H2 release. Now that Win11 has been released, I'm not certain how long it will take for MS to release it on Win10.
There is another way, to install 2xOS in paralel, when the PC is booting, will promt you with a choice to open X or Y OS. These are the alternatives I never try, but I know they exist and I see others use them.
Dual boot has been an option for many decades. I tried to do my first Linux (Mandrake) install that way, but the install messed up my disk by creating too many partitions and I had to reinstall Windows and all of my apps. I think I was installing on a computer that wasn't used for anything important, so I don't recall losing anything I cared about. That experience soured me on Linux for about 20 years; though I've been using variants of Unix for about 40 years now. First at work, now personally.
My inspiration for you is to downgrade, learn from my experience.
The problem with running old stuff is that you're vulnerable to more hacker attacks. I still use old operating systems, but I don't use them to connect to the WWW.
from what he says, win11 is hardware dependent with not older than 2019
You have to filter YouTube material with your experience and common sense. Last I heard, MS was going back to 8th generation iCore. That would take it back to around 2017 if Intel had been releasing a new generation every year (some were delayed due to manufacturing issues). There are a lot of idiots on YT masquerading as experts...