Circuit in Proteus with 4 errors

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I built your first circuit and is running fine now. I discovered how to use buttons ONLY using the Hand tool. WOW. And only in simulation mode. Haha. You mentioned it is required the clock to make the RAM run. I can run the ram manually without the clock just fine and it is responding. He is calling the circles as LEDs, but they are more as Logic Probes.
Here is my working test:
1634247122177.png
Again, slow and small steps for me. The good part, this program is intuitive enough.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So every input/output must have a pull resistor on it all the time?
Only for cases where the inputs aren't being driven by other gates.
I still insist on you starting using Proteus.
I would if it was free, but I'm retired and won't pay for something I really don't need.
I am still fighting in DW with making a macro.
Post what's causing you difficulties and I'll see if I can help.

DW isn't a great simulator, but I took the time to get good at it and now I'm too invested to use something else. There's another member who uses it and he started when it wasn't free.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You mentioned it is required the clock to make the RAM run.
I learned something new. I just never thought to run without a clock or clock sequencer. Thanks for that.

DW will treat unconnected inputs as logic LOW, but it's best to not use that feature because it could bite you if you tried to breadboard a circuit. I do it on flip flops the built-in flip flops, but I usually ground them if I'm going to post circuits.

If you start making components for commercial parts, put pin numbers on the symbol. It makes it easier to follow along with schematics like those Malvino drew. My gripe over his style is that he doesn't label pin function. Function is more important than pin numbers.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
So every input/output must have a pull resistor on it all the time?
Only for cases where the inputs aren't being driven by other gates.
So the rule of the thumb is, when an I/O pin is floating, add a pull resistor to it (down or up depends on the case). Now I understand. The same goes for PICs. I read this little detail in their datasheet. I ignore it every time. Now i'm wiser. There are interference caused by temperature or stray static voltages who can potentially vibrate the I/O pin. Thats the bottom idea I remained with after many papers I read in my life. I knew about it but not in this electronic sense like today. Very interesting (for me) knowledge. Thank you !

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There are interference caused by temperature or stray static voltages who can potentially vibrate the I/O pin.
A floating TTL input can be at an undefined input voltage (I think it's around 1.7V). It isn't very likely that enough noise will couple to make it LOW, but it isn't a good design practice to set inputs float.

It's a different matter for CMOS IC's. The inputs are very high impedance, so coupling is a real threat. The inputs could also float at a voltage that causes both output transistors to be on, so you might exceed the device power dissipation limit or just waste power.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I am making right now your CD5410 circuit
What is this component?
1634249975547.png
It looks like a JK Latch ? I see 2 NOTs on it (the 2 circles). I think is something custom build by you as well. Can you screenshot this component internals for me to build it and integrate it here?
If its in the list of components, I didnt find it. Tell me its name if its already made.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I found that LSTTL inputs float at about 2V; which is the minimum voltage for logic HIGH. I would have expected them to float at closer to 1.4V.

1634250159533.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Is this component have a number/name? Like GDSFSDFWEEW1212 ? It has a datasheet maybe?
Or is just simply a part from inside this chip without any equivalent in the real IC world?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is this component have a number/name? Like GDSFSDFWEEW1212 ? It has a datasheet maybe?
Or is just simply a part from inside this chip without any equivalent in the real IC world?
There is no commercial flip flop IC with that functionality. It was just a convenient container for the flip flop they wanted. RCA used a T flip flop with additional features.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I managed to finish the circuit of that counter
Now I have to make it as a component. And here is the "hard" part for me. I say "hard" but is experience that I have to pile up.
1634255062125.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I can not see your Template in Template Editor. That sucks.
1634255533585.png
I was curious how you made the circles:
1634255600560.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Phiw !!! I managed to make my first macro.
1634257474063.png

Your counter macro is still gray out ! So I could not follow your macro.
What you send me there is only your CD4510 IC Macro. Which is working, I can open it and see it.
1634258560352.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What you send me there is only your CD4510 IC Macro. Which is working, I can open it and see it.
You should be able to put the .dwg and .dwt files I had in the .zip in the same directory and use DW to open the .dwg file and be able to bring up the template.