Circuit for counting ignition pulses with inductive pickup using LM2907

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Hope you all will be fine.
Can you please help me in making circuit for counting ignition pulses with the help of inductive pickup. I want to use LM2907 to do it. but what I know is that the signal from inductive pickup may be having a lot of noise. Another issue is that the signal might not be crossing zero.

Any help in this regard please...please....please.................................................

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
thank you so much dear djsfantasi for your reply..
the ignition pulses are basically coming from inductive pickup tied on ignition cables (when current is passed through conductor, a magnetic field is produced, this changing field will produce current/voltage in the inductive pick up that is tied on the cable)....... and i am counting them for measuring engine rpm

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Where are the ignition pulses coming from and what are you going to do with the count?
thank you so much dear djsfantasi for your reply..
the ignition pulses are basically coming from inductive pickup tied on ignition cables (when current is passed through conductor, a magnetic field is produced, this changing field will produce current/voltage in the inductive pick up that is tied on the cable)....... and i am counting them for measuring engine rpm

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

Inductive pickup part number?
2 cycle or 4 cycle engine?
Max RPM?
Supply voltage?
What is output connecting to? A tachometer? If so, Tach part number?

eT

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Hi

Inductive pickup part number?
2 cycle or 4 cycle engine?
Max RPM?
Supply voltage?
What is output connecting to? A tachometer? If so, Tach part number?

eT

Till now I didnt decide which inductive part number but am thinking of wrapping a few times copper wire arround ignition cable,,, This signal needs to be cleaned then.
4 cycle
Max RPM 4000
Supply voltage .... I have no idea
I am trying to connect output to arduino ADC channel but first I want to covert frequency to voltage with LM2907

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want the frequency why not just square-up the pulses with a comparator and then count the digital pulses with the Arduino? Converting the pulses to voltage seems an unnecessary step.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hmm...

Seems one could use a A1203 Hall sensor to detect spark (just tape it on the wire), have that feed a LM2917-8, that in turn provides input to the Adruino.
Why an LM2917? Because some sort of signal conditioning (buffer and/or comparator) is needed anyway, it might as well be an 8 pin LM2917.

eT

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Hmm...

Seems one could use a A1203 Hall sensor to detect spark (just tape it on the wire), have that feed a LM2917-8, that in turn provides input to the Adruino.
Why an LM2917? Because some sort of signal conditioning (buffer and/or comparator) is needed anyway, it might as well be an 8 pin LM2917.

eT
hey eetech00 can u send me draw me a full circuit and send me please... the reason I am using LM2907 is that I am not good in programming arduino.... but atleat if I know the rpm and voltage relation then it is easy for me to define equation

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Can't you use a capture function to interrupt a timer in Arduino as you would in a Picmicro?
Seems to me a lot easier if it has the function.
Max.

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To obtain accurate pulses on a ICE, the ignition leads would be a last resort for me, the ringing and spurious spikes that may occur do not make for an accurate reading, I would look at other sources of engine rpm, which all you need is rpm and number of cyclinders in order to calculate, unless you need the precise point of each cyclinder firing?.
Any gear teeth or other rotating object could be the source of pulses, or dependant on what type of ignition it has contact points etc, on modern motors, the ignition sensor is taken off the flywheel by prox sensor.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Check this out, you could use one of these amp sensors (I've already used them in previous projects, and they work wondefuly) and connect it to a comparator to get what you want. Noise could be an issue, although the voltage spikes from the ignition would be so high that it would be comparatively small.
http://amploc.fatcow.com/store/index.html

Ahoo

Joined Sep 28, 2014
Check this out, you could use one of these amp sensors (I've already used them in previous projects, and they work wondefuly) and connect it to a comparator to get what you want. Noise could be an issue, although the voltage spikes from the ignition would be so high that it would be comparatively small.
http://amploc.fatcow.com/store/index.html
Thank you so much
Can you please draw me the full circuit please..... I am really bad in these things...I am actually a mechanical engineer but have a little know how of these things... I just need it in my project.... Ur help will be really appreciated

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Till now I didnt decide which inductive part number but am thinking of wrapping a few times copper wire arround ignition cable,,, This signal needs to be cleaned then.
4 cycle
Max RPM 4000
Supply voltage .... I have no idea
I am trying to connect output to arduino ADC channel but first I want to covert frequency to voltage with LM2907
How many cylinders?