Circuit Breaker Help

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

I need to buy a large circuit breaker for my Siemens panel. The breaker is connected to my washing machine.

Is this the right breaker?
https://www.canadabreakers.ca/collections/siemens/products/q220

Does anyone know how to choose the right one?
You want to match the current rating and voltage service of the one you’re replacing. If you’re not replacing one, then you shouldn’t be adding a breaker unless you know the ratings of all the wiring and fixtures on that circuit branch.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Another, if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it question.

Hire a licensed professional and avoid getting electrocuted or burning doen your house or both.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You want to match the current rating and voltage service of the one you’re replacing. If you’re not replacing one, then you shouldn’t be adding a breaker unless you know the ratings of all the wiring and fixtures on that circuit branch.

The second part of your statement is much truer then the first. Don't assume the breaker that is in there is sized properly. You need to know what you are doing. Again hire a professional.

noweare

Joined Jun 30, 2017
It the machine is rated at 15 amps then a 15 amp breaker should be used. An exception is if the machine is on continously the breaker should be rated 20% above the rated current for the machine.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It the machine is rated at 15 amps then a 15 amp breaker should be used. An exception is if the machine is on continously the breaker should be rated 20% above the rated current for the machine.

NO!!!! The breaker is matched to the service (wiring) . NOT what is being powered. What is being powered ("machine") is connected to an appropriate service.

Please don't give information if you don't know what you are talking about. Incorrect information like yours burns down houses.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree - the breaker protects the wiring and receptacles, and thereby the house. It does this job no matter what the load is. You need to know the ratings of every link in the chain of the circuit and size the breaker to protect the weakest link. You also need to be aware of local electrical code in order to select the proper breaker. For instance arc detection breakers are required for all replacements where I live.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
NO!!!! The breaker is matched to the service (wiring) . NOT what is being powered. What is being powered ("machine") is connected to an appropriate service.

Please don't give information if you don't know what you are talking about. Incorrect information like yours burns down houses.
Quoted because I feel the same way!

A 20 amp breaker can be used on wires no smaller than 12 gauge (US Standard, probably internationally as well). If you have 14 gauge wiring you can not put anything larger than a 15 amp breaker on the line - REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU'RE PLUGGING INTO IT!

I've seen dryers that run on 240 VAC but never seen a washing machine (for home use). Double pole breakers are for 240 VAC circuits. In my home (12 gauge wiring / 120 VAC) I use a 20 amp breaker on the line the washing machine is plugged into.

Either learn and follow the codes or hire someone who knows what they're doing. Attempting to fix, build or modify home electrical wiring when one doesn't know what they're doing often ends in smoke and ashes.