Chrome will soon let you permanently mute websites

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sorry if I sound stupid. What is the advantage? I open just what I want to browse. Sure I am missing something too evident.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Sorry if I sound stupid. What is the advantage? I open just what I want to browse. Sure I am missing something too evident.
Many websites are programmed to bombard you with multimedia content whether you want it or not. In the old days of low bandwidth, this was incredibly annoying because it slowed access to what you wanted while all the crap loaded. Now that's not really the problem for most people. Now it's just noise and garish content that you often don't care for. "Click bait" sites are awful in this regard. They tease you with a photo they know will draw eyeballs and then bury you in surrounding ads with sound and video. Your processor and fan start working overtime just because you wanted to see the photo that baited you, which is rarely there anyway.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The latest Safari has a feature I absolutely love. It won't run ANY Flash content without user approval. It's a mild annoyance - an extra click - when you do want to see the Flash content but it's a huge time and energy saver to stop all the crap you don't want.
Safari just now added that feature?

For years, IE has had the ability to restrict lots of things so that they will only run after prompting you. Flash, cookies, JavaScript, the list is fairly long.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Many websites are programmed to bombard you with multimedia content whether you want it or not. In the old days of low bandwidth, this was incredibly annoying because it slowed access to what you wanted while all the crap loaded. Now that's not really the problem for most people. Now it's just noise and garish content that you often don't care for. "Click bait" sites are awful in this regard. They tease you with a photo they know will draw eyeballs and then bury you in surrounding ads with sound and video. Your processor and fan start working overtime just because you wanted to see the photo that baited you, which is rarely there anyway.
Youtube also has this problem where it starts playing ads at the same time it tries to load the video you want to see.

Most Youtube content is available for free so I don't have a problem with using ads to finance the site. However, if the ads virtually cripple your computer (by hogging CPU and causing it to become non-responsive), it's a self defeating proposition.

Then there's Facebook which is one of the worst offenders when it comes to hogging my computer's resources and even causing Windows to shut down.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sorry. My fault; the OP said "mute". Now it makes sense to me.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I look for the speaker icon, sometimes it is hard to figue out where the sound is coming fromw. multiple tabs open