Christmas lights - Looking for help to make them "stay on" on a timer.

dawii

Joined Nov 30, 2023
Hi,

I got this christmas lights that have 8 different modes, for some reason the power adapter doesn´t have memory, so every time I plug it in it start in "Combination" mode, when I want it to be on "Steady on" mode. I have a timer plug with other lights attached, so every time it turns on, this christmas light start in a different mode than the others.

Do you think there is any hack I could do to make this one start on the "Steady on" mode? I attached some pictures of it.

I though of attaching an external switch, to remote turn it on and off and keep the adapter always powered, but that is a bit problematic when the only possible socket in which I can plug it in is a timered one, so the adapter will lose the power at some point.

Any help is very welcomed.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi,

I got this christmas lights that have 8 different modes, for some reason the power adapter doesn´t have memory, so every time I plug it in it start in "Combination" mode, when I want it to be on "Steady on" mode. I have a timer plug with other lights attached, so every time it turns on, this christmas light start in a different mode than the others.

Do you think there is any hack I could do to make this one start on the "Steady on" mode? I attached some pictures of it.

I though of attaching an external switch, to remote turn it on and off and keep the adapter always powered, but that is a bit problematic when the only possible socket in which I can plug it in is a timered one, so the adapter will lose the power at some point.

Any help is very welcomed.
What do you do now to change the mode? press a button?
A schematic would be very helpful.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

The modification will take place on this section. It will take a while to decipher the circuit. But all you really need is to figure out the pathway from the transformer to the LED string.
1701445998037.png
It's really difficult to get a good sense of the circuit. I've tried to adjust the contrast, brightness and saturation to make it clearer but there's just too much light reflected from the solder. It's obscuring circuitry. But somewhere in here is where you're going to bypass the programming and simply set it to "STEADY ON".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The easiest way would be to leave the board always powered and just put a relay between the board and the lights. Have the timer close the relay when you want the lights on, and open it when you want them off.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Start with measuring the voltage from the transformer:
1701446597610.png
Measure from TXFMR to CTR TAP, from CTR TAP to TXFMR and then from TXFMR to TXFMR. Let us know what you find.