Choosing dissertation for final year

Saviour Muscat

Joined Sep 19, 2014
Hello,
I wondering if I could be able to develop an application or an electronic system using smartphone camera or smartphone itself to recognition the outside environment for blind people implementing AI or more simpler GPS circuitry. I think smartphone it self nowadays is capable for voice recognition, with his cameras can get obstacle distance and headphones can be used to communicate with person in concern.
TY

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think the idea is either original or especially compelling. What field will your degree be in, and what has your advisor said, if anything?

Saviour Muscat

Joined Sep 19, 2014
My field of study is electronics and control and I didn't spoke to my advisor so far of my idea, just to have an idea it could be feasible or not.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If this is a dissertation for an advanced electronics degree then you should already have a fair amount of insight into the area. Using the camera and computing abilities of a smartphone would be an area for an advanced software student. The fact is that a lot of people are developing smartphone application code, so it may not be a good dissertation to choose. Of course if you can create a far more detailed description of what would be delivered from analysis of an image, and how that would be useful, then that could be a valid project.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
What level thesis/dissertation are you doing?

Masters? PhD? I've even heard of some schools doing undergrad.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Also - the best and only advice really worth giving is to talk to your advisor and see if your ideas are adequate for what they expect.