Choosing a microprocessor for my "exergame" project

Alice24

Joined Apr 22, 2011
Hi,
I could use a bit of a general guidance choosing a microprocessor for my project. It's not a school project or anything, but a personal one. I already made it with arduino, now I wanna try to make it more efficient and elegant and frankly I just don't like arduino that much, I work as a mechanical engineer for an electronics company and I also feel like I should improve my electronics knowledge, but I also wanna do it with something I'm passionate about, and this personal project is that. The project is about sending keyboard commands to the PC based on sensor's input. It's an exercise device that measures how fast the user is using the device and outputs something to the PC, essentially, and there are parameters that can be adjusted.

I read that the first thing I should do before choosing a microprocessor is write a list of requirements. Makes sense, here they are:

Requirements:
- Ability to read 1 and 0 from external (sensor) input (I assume all microprocessors can do that). Sensor will be a "black and white" sensor (line follower)
- Ability to show LCD (I2C should probably be there)
- I should be able to program a windows software with it with a basic GUI if I wanted to.
- I will probably have a few switches/potentiometers, so I need at least 5 such manual controllers.
- Ability to store memory (whenever the device is turned on and off)
- Ability to give keyboard commands to the PC
- Connects via USB to PC

How do I go about choosing one? Or do you think I'm going about it the wrong way?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I already made it with arduino, now I wanna try to make it more efficient and elegant and frankly I just don't like arduino that much
What do you think is wrong with an Arduino based solution? Is all of your external circuitry operating at 5V?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may find answers in the form of a PLC etc, but for maximum flexibility, I would think a MicroChip would give you all you need?
Max.