Checking my 3 channel color organ kit for faults - not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Hi I am building a 3 channel color organ kit that powers from 120vac and have soldered everything together, however, when I hook it all up, it does not work. How can I check my work to ensure that I've done everything correctly? Is there a methodological process?

I've gone through the diagrams and re-checked all components. This is the second kit that i've made where in the end, it will not fire up. So I know that I am at fault.

There is no power coming out of the outlets to the lights.

Any tips? I have a multi-meter for testing.

Thanks
Rick

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Well that is the 64 thousand dollar question isn’t it?

Did the kit come with a trouble shooting guide…I would start there.

If you are pretty sure you are the problem then I would check the work for any faults, especially things like cold solder joints, or shorts. Make double triple sure all of the parts are placed correctly…and then do it again…and again…

After that, its basic diagnosis starting with the power supply, and moving forward after that, do you have the correct voltage here, do you have the correct voltage there, and so on.

People are going to ask for the schematic, and very clear pictures of the boards, so be prepared.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Yep... I know...
I did go through the troubleshooting and have checked all components. I will upload some photos in a few. Its so frustrating, the kit isnt all the complicated and I would love to make more, but i'm constantly getting these hiccups.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
While you're checking components, some of them have to be the right way round - diodes, electrolytic capacitors, transistors, ICs - so check that too.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
I did check all the direction of capacitors, transistors and diodes... photos coming shortly as soon as I get home from work.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Post the schematic first. We don't need to see photos of the assembly unless you expect us to check your soldering/assembly work.
What good would the schematic do without the board to cross reference it to, it’s not like he can change it, or anything.

If you find something wrong with the schematic…then what…it’s a kit.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Where I get stuck at is understanding how the voltage is supposed to change at each component. I can put things together, but testing for errors...not so much.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What good would the schematic do without the board to cross reference it to, it’s not like he can change it, or anything.

If you find something wrong with the schematic…then what…it’s a kit.
With a schematic, we can determine expected voltages and guide him to isolating the problem.

I'm not expecting to find anything wrong with the schematic. Duh...

EDIT: Well I have to take that back. There's no line isolation and no fuse.

Last edited:

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
I now realize that the potentiometers are way too long. I did this for mounting but will shorten, but I dont think that is the main issue.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Geez, people sell those kinds of kits still? I would be ultra cautious working on it. Note that the on/off switch has shock potential, especially if the center wire is connected to hot. And that's quite possible since there is a lamp cord wired in and I bet it has an unpolarized plug on the other end. Random chance of that black wire on the switch being hot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.