Charging Powerbank

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Nothing useful; probably nothing at all, but you may succeed in destroying the bank or the charger or even starting a fire. Why would you want to try?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Have you considered repairing the charging port?

Most consumer items are not intended to ever be serviced or even opened for repairs, which makes them much harder to open in order to fix them. My first question about the power bank device that appears to have a failed charging port is: have you verified that it is the port that has failed and not the charger that you are trying to use? I ask that because the wires to the connectors on most such consumer-grade products are very poor quality, no matter the original price. Then my next question is are you able to do any diagnostic measurements on the power bank device if you do get it open? This would include measuring the resistance of connections and the voltage of the internal battery cells. Can you even open the device package to examine the insides?
Also, consider that the powerbank package may no longer be able to accept a charge because of the internal cells having reached the "end of life" condition. Rechargeable cells do have a finite number of cycles that they are good for.

Dejan V

Joined Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for answering :)
I have tried 3 or 4 usb cables for charging and it's same.. Also i can't open it, it doesn't have any screws so i can't measure anything.. :(
The powerbank is pretty new but it doesn't have warranty.
Is there a way to open it somehow in a repair store.. I guess like they are opening the smartphones with non-removable batteries ?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for answering :)
I have tried 3 or 4 usb cables for charging and it's same.. Also i can't open it, it doesn't have any screws so i can't measure anything.. :(
The powerbank is pretty new but it doesn't have warranty.
Is there a way to open it somehow in a repair store.. I guess like they are opening the smartphones with non-removable batteries ?

The powerbank device does not have any screws visible, and it may not have any at all. That is because it costs less to design it to either snap together, be or to be sonic welded , or glued. So what you need now is some good light and probably a magnifier, so that you can examine the case and locate the seam between the halves. That seam will go all the way around the case and hopefully look a bit different. The other possibility is that the halves of the case snap together, in which instance you will probably need to break the snapping hooks and then glue the case closed after repairing it. In either case, my way of opening glued shut cases is to use a quite sharp thin knife blade, with the sharp edge against the crack of the seam, and gently tap on the back edge of the blade to start the joint cracking. As soon as the joint cracks a little bit, advance the knife blade to a section that has not yet cracked and tap on the blade to break the seam some more. But be very careful while doing this to not cut your hands. I always rest the device being opened on a covered surface so that I do not damage the table while working. The whole process is a lot like cracking open a walnut. It is also very important to not let the sharp edge go into the case and cut things inside.

Dejan V

Joined Feb 16, 2018
The powerbank device does not have any screws visible, and it may not have any at all. That is because it costs less to design it to either snap together, be or to be sonic welded , or glued. So what you need now is some good light and probably a magnifier, so that you can examine the case and locate the seam between the halves. That seam will go all the way around the case and hopefully look a bit different. The other possibility is that the halves of the case snap together, in which instance you will probably need to break the snapping hooks and then glue the case closed after repairing it. In either case, my way of opening glued shut cases is to use a quite sharp thin knife blade, with the sharp edge against the crack of the seam, and gently tap on the back edge of the blade to start the joint cracking. As soon as the joint cracks a little bit, advance the knife blade to a section that has not yet cracked and tap on the blade to break the seam some more. But be very careful while doing this to not cut your hands. I always rest the device being opened on a covered surface so that I do not damage the table while working. The whole process is a lot like cracking open a walnut. It is also very important to not let the sharp edge go into the case and cut things inside.

Thanks, I will try to open it :)

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The input port likely has some sort of power metering circuitry to prevent overcharging of the batteries. The output isn't going to be regulated the same way. If you COULD force electrons in via the output port then you could potentially overcharge the batteries. You wouldn't' want that to happen. Lithium batteries can outgas a poisonous gas if you try that. Even if we're all completely wrong here, don't try it because it's most likely not going to have protective circuitry on it and you could damage or destroy your batteries if you don't do it precisely correct.