Charged lithium cells behavior...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Early cells were to be charged at 4.1000V; later at 4.2V, now I see some at 4.3V I suppose technology improvements; nothing unusual.
I would like to know the steady voltage at charged state of the different chemistries.
Some properly charged cells show 4.2V steady after weeks removed from charger. Some decrease in short time to 3.7V and stay there also for weeks.
Does the difference in behavior obey to their chemistry ? Which is what ? Can the chemistry be told by the voltage as above ?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Nearly all lithium cells commonly found are Li-ion ...... There is no precise voltage for charging them to ....

Industry standard is 4.2 V , which gives a life of about 400 cycles (before capacity drops to 80%)

By charging to 4.3 they hold about 10% more energy , but then have a life of 200 cycles

Satellites charge their cells only to 3.93V which gives the maximum life possible ... 3000 cycles , but store only 65% of the energy compared to a 4.2V charge .

Rarely li-ion do have different formula electrolyte which give better characteristics at higher voltage , or higher currents , but there's always a trade off. ... vaping cells can tolerate very high discharge , but suffer short life .

A cell which rapidly self discharges has finished it's useful life

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Thanks. From what I read, there is about 8 chemistries for lithium cells
Sure ... but in real life you will never find them ... cell phones , laptops , power tools , drones , RC aircraft , most electric vehicles, vapers all use the same , Li-ion (Lithium cobalt oxide) .. with slight variations in the electrolyte . Perhaps around 99% Lithium cells manufactured are this one chemistry type.