Changing your mind mid-post...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m sure everyone has started a post and then changed their mind. Maybe you realize that what you were about to say was wrong... or irrelevant... or worse.

So you don’t post it and navigate away. That post haunts you for the rest of your live. You return to the thread later and it’s still there. Forever! So you delete all the text. Next time you return to the thread, YOUR REPLY IS STILL WAITING TO BE POSTED.

Sometimes I’ll have something to add and after deleting the old text, I’ll create my new post. Other times I’ll replace everything with a single character, post it and delete the post, just to keep these from haunting me.

How do y’all deal with this?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I’m sure everyone has started a post and then changed their mind. Maybe you realize that what you were about to say was wrong... or irrelevant... or worse.

So you don’t post it and navigate away. That post haunts you for the rest of your live. You return to the thread later and it’s still there. Forever! So you delete all the text. Next time you return to the thread, YOUR REPLY IS STILL WAITING TO BE POSTED.

Sometimes I’ll have something to add and after deleting the old text, I’ll create my new post. Other times I’ll replace everything with a single character, post it and delete the post, just to keep these from haunting me.

Single character and wait for the site to back it up.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If I am following what you are saying......using the backspace and delete keys, the draft text deletes for me.......after several tries.

It bugged me too for awhile. Try it.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
I have never been able to make it go away. Backspace, delete, select all and delete, nothing makes it go away. Always still there when you navigate away and then come back. It is quite annoying.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It goes away if you delete the text in the reply box and then leave that thread open for a while. Not sure how long it takes, but within a few minutes (I think) the system will backup the current contents of the box (that is, nothing) and your old, abandoned text will be gone.

EDIT: I just tried writing a short post and waiting a few minutes for it to be backed up by the system, then deleting it. I waited another 5 minutes with the thread open, then went back to the main page. Once there, I re-loaded the thread and scrolled down to the edit box. My text was gone.

So it looks like it only takes a few minutes.

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Unposted text and any 'un-anchored' attachments (i.e. uploads) expire Ca. 48 hours following your last 'editorial' activity on the relevant thread...

Best regards
HP

PS
Single character and wait for the site to back it up.
It goes away if you delete the text in the reply box and then leave that thread open for a while. Not sure how long it takes, but within a few minutes (I think) the system will backup the current contents of the box (that is, nothing) and your old, abandoned text will be gone.

EDIT: I just tried writing a short post and waiting a few minutes for it to be backed up by the system, then deleting it. I waited another 5 minutes with the thread open, then went back to the main page. Once there, I re-loaded the thread and scrolled down to the edit box. My text was gone.

So it looks like it only takes a few minutes.
That'll do it too!:cool: