Changing tactile switch

clarodina clarodina

Joined Jun 28, 2015
Hi have some questions about circuit board

1) How to change or convert the push button tactile switch into jumpers (Those two metal requiring jumper cap)

The tactile switch is on a retail product

Attached is a pic of the switch

Are the pin of the switch usually soldered to the board? How to change them to jumper with them soldered to the board?

Or use the disassemble the switch but use the pin as jumpers?

Attachments

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I foresee a couple of problems with what you seem to be trying to do. The pin spacing of the switch will not likely match the 0.1" pitch of typical Berg headers. Whatever function was originally controlled by the switch probably requires a momentary, normally open contact. Replacing it with a shorting clip may not work as you intend.

clarodina clarodina

Joined Jun 28, 2015
Thank for replying

What would you suggest in this case to convert push button into something manual requiring a external connecting in order to turn on the switch?

Say the tactile is soldered to the board would get rid of the button but not the tactile pin and make the pin vertical like berg header and use a jumper cap to connect necessary?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Can you simply modify the circuit board on the next production run to replace the switch with a jumper?

If this is a repair modification after the boards have been produced do you have somewhere to mount this "jumper" to the product enclosure or something that would still look "professional"..

As a consumer, if I had to open up the case on a consumer product and fiddle with some "repair jumper" thats just hanging in there I would not recommend that product to anyone.

Does the consumer actually have to use this jumper or could you simply solder a permanent jumper wire across the switch and leave it?