Changing tactile switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by clarodina clarodina, Jun 28, 2015.

  1. clarodina clarodina

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jun 28, 2015
    Hi have some questions about circuit board

    1) How to change or convert the push button tactile switch into jumpers (Those two metal requiring jumper cap)

    The tactile switch is on a retail product

    Attached is a pic of the switch

    Are the pin of the switch usually soldered to the board? How to change them to jumper with them soldered to the board?

    Or use the disassemble the switch but use the pin as jumpers?
    • 1.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
  2. KJ6EAD

    Senior Member

    Apr 30, 2011
    I foresee a couple of problems with what you seem to be trying to do. The pin spacing of the switch will not likely match the 0.1" pitch of typical Berg headers. Whatever function was originally controlled by the switch probably requires a momentary, normally open contact. Replacing it with a shorting clip may not work as you intend.
  3. clarodina clarodina

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jun 28, 2015
    Thank for replying

    What would you suggest in this case to convert push button into something manual requiring a external connecting in order to turn on the switch?

    Say the tactile is soldered to the board would get rid of the button but not the tactile pin and make the pin vertical like berg header and use a jumper cap to connect necessary?
  4. mcgyvr

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 15, 2009
    Can you simply modify the circuit board on the next production run to replace the switch with a jumper?

    If this is a repair modification after the boards have been produced do you have somewhere to mount this "jumper" to the product enclosure or something that would still look "professional"..

    As a consumer, if I had to open up the case on a consumer product and fiddle with some "repair jumper" thats just hanging in there I would not recommend that product to anyone.

    Does the consumer actually have to use this jumper or could you simply solder a permanent jumper wire across the switch and leave it?