Change switching to non-switching adapter?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by basslover, Jul 31, 2017.

1. basslover

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 31, 2017
  2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Probably.
    But why do you want to? :confused:

3. basslover

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks for your reply crutschow. I understand switching adapters produce a lot of line noise and I'm trying to minimize line noise.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    But is it causing noise in your stereo system?

5. basslover

Jul 31, 2017
    When I shut the device off, which is an equalizer for the sub, the overall musical sound becomes noticeably more detailed and you can hear more into the music. So I'd like to see if the negative effect is avoided with a non-switching power supply.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Then you should be able to power it with a non-switching supply with the same voltage and minimum current rating (the current rating can be higher but not the voltage).

7. basslover

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks. I haven't been able to find any adapters that are non-switching. Do they still make them?

8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Perhaps not.
    You may have to roll your own with a transformer, bridge rectifier, filter capacitor and voltage regulator.
    Are you up to doing that?

9. basslover

Jul 31, 2017
    No, I'm just a beginner learning what I need to know about power and circuits to optimize music systems. I was actually just told by the authorized repair center for the stereo component in question, that it wasn't designed to receive power from a non-switching adapter. I'm such a newbie, that I don't even know if that makes sense, because I assumed the current flowing into the component would be identical, whether the adapter was of a switching or of a non-switching kind.

10. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It makes little sense to me either.
    I think the repair center was blowing smoke.
    As long as the amp gets the rated voltage and current it shouldn't care where it comes from,

11. basslover

Jul 31, 2017
    The component isn't an amp, it's an equalizer for the subwoofer, but I think your analysis would apply to an equalizer as well, correct?
    Thanks for your continuing help!

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Is there any power information printed on the backside of the equalizer or the power adapter?