Ceramic Capacitor ID Help

TrevorFormosa

Joined Feb 25, 2016
Hi have a Ceramic capacitor in an charger i need to replace. its split right down the middle I cant figure out the id on it. The only numbers on there is the first line says 240 the second line says L012. Can someone please tell me what capacitor i need to replace this and i can buy it on amazon!
Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
2,4,0 would say 24 pf to some people, but nobody wants to stick their neck out without more information. 24pf is pretty small, high frequency stuff, out of range of most switching power supplies. How about a photo?

TrevorFormosa

Joined Feb 25, 2016
2,4,0 would say 24 pf to some people, but nobody wants to stick their neck out without more information. 24pf is pretty small, high frequency stuff, out of range of most switching power supplies. How about a photo?
I was feeling the same on the 24pf but I just don't know about that. I will upload a pic in a minute

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That looks wrong. I'm thinking a power line protector of some sort. Back up the camera a bit so we can see what is nearby. Maybe get a better clue.

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
It looks like a 240V varistor. It also looks like your device had a voltage surge making the varistor to open up like that. As varistors are over voltage/surge protector, it must have had a big surge to do that to it.

If the varistor reacted fast enough, your fuse would have gone and hopefully nothing else downstream is damaged by the surge. If no other damaged then the device should work without that part (as a test only), however the varistor should be replaced to take care of the next surge. If the unit doesnt work without the part then other parts may be damaged.

BW, the varistor would sit between live and neutral, if it is in series it might be thermistor to reduce inrush current.

TrevorFormosa

Joined Feb 25, 2016
Well the way i understand it is the customer has a really old Honda generator. He has had problems in the past with these charger inverters due to his generator. I am recommending him a new one