center tap transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

aac9876

Joined Dec 9, 2006
Center tap transformers are used as a step in making DC into AC. I can see how they make 0 to peak volts. What is making the 0 to -peak? Is one side of the transformer a neg. polarity?

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
phasing is an important aspect of transformers. from one of the secondary legs to the center tap will supply an ac signal in phase with the input signal, while from the other secondary leg to the center tap will supply a signal out of phase (inverted) with the input signal. hence +vout and -vout with respect to the center tap.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
transformers do not convert ac to dc they only step up or step down the voltage.
it is the rest of the circuitry which follows that does the rectification.(its a dirty job but som1 has to do it :D)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I think the original poster was talking about a push-pull amplifier.

Take a look at the attached schematic. Note how simple the design is, and that the collector current for the transistors is supplied via the center tap of the transformer. This makes it very easy to change the direction of the current flow through the transformer without adding complicated things such as "H-bridges" or the like.

It's also the reason that unipolar stepper motors are more popular with hobbyists than bipolar steppers.

Attachments

aac9876

Joined Dec 9, 2006
i was talking about a simple inverter circuit. from both ends of a center tap you fire 60 cycles a second and it gets collected as 60 hz of say 24 volts ,then is transformed say
10 wraps to 240 ac square wave and then is filtered into sine wave ac. I still dont know how the filters work but it has been explained and I still dont get it.
So now I know that if one side of the transformer is making a v+ wave then the other side HAS? to make a v-
I guess thats how it works.
I have been interested for some time in the conversion from dc to ac in a true sine wave form. I am not an EE but I have a feeling there is a much simpler way to do it.I dont know exactly what it is but
I bet it might have to do with the material used in each layer of the transformer, the layers of iron, and other treatments to alter the way the the iron core takes on a charge and dissipates it.I think also some day someone will find certain formulations of metals and doping that output a certain voltage no matter if there are other components involved at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.