Cement mixer

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
My electric cement mixer has lost power over the years. A new motor is £150 but then I rememberd my HGV mechanic day's were I would refurbish lorry starter motors by renewing the brushes and cleaning the commutator segments. Before I try this on the cement mixer motor how could I measue the power output before and after, with the motor on the bench? Is this possible or does the motor need to be under load to see if it's got more power after the refurbing?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The motor needs a load to be tested properly. Is your motor AC or DC? Are you sure it has brushes, because nearly all AC motors these days do not. If it's a permanent magnet DC motor, the magnets can get weak over time.

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
The motor needs a load to be tested properly. Is your motor AC or DC? Are you sure it has brushes, because nearly all AC motors these days do not. If it's a permanent magnet DC motor, the magnets can get weak over time.
Hi, thanks for your comments. It's 220 v AC and I'm probably living in the past! It's many years since I've worked on motors and of course the vehicle one would be 24v DC. The mixer is s out 18years old so perhaps it won't have brushes.
If that's the case, is there any way to give it new lease of life? Re-power the magnets? Or something?
Thanks again for your input. Regards Keith

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's most likely an induction motor -- no brushes or magnets. Most you can try is to clean it up and maybe replace the bearings. It might just be time for a new motor.

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
It's most likely an induction motor -- no brushes or magnets. Most you can try is to clean it up and maybe replace the bearings. It might just be time for a new motor.
Thanks for this info. I've found some pictures of the motor when I refurbished the drum and frame a few years ago. It looks quite worn so I think you've got it right. Just have to bite the bullet and get a new motor. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
See if you can find a local motor re-builder, around here you can get a motor like that rebuilt like new for less than 1/2 the price of a new one.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
i guess your in the UK, most AC single phase motors are universal types with brushes, or capacitor run without brushes.

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Try removing the end bell and inspecting the motor.
If the windings are not burnt and no bad odors appear, bearing replacement might give you another 18 years.
(Fond memories of killing time in the cannery by reviving motors from the boneyard.)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The fact it is 2800 rpm, (2 pole on 50hz) points to induction motor, especially made by Brook motors who mainly made 1ph/3ph induction types.
I agree that a strip down, clean and new bearings may get you going.
Max.

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
Try removing the end bell and inspecting the motor.
If the windings are not burnt and no bad odors appear, bearing replacement might give you another 18 years.
(Fond memories of killing time in the cannery by reviving motors from the boneyard.)
That's another area to look at - many thanks. It didn't smell burnt but it's worth inspecting the innards more closely. Thanks.

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
The fact it is 2800 rpm, (2 pole on 50hz) points to induction motor, especially made by Brook motors who mainly made 1ph/3ph induction types.
I agree that a strip down, clean and new bearings may get you going.
Max.
Certainly armed with much more info, thanks to all the knowledgeable help here. I'll be delving into its innards shortly. Much obliged to you (all)

Keith Robinson

Joined Nov 30, 2014
Well young fella, I'm all choked up, you eyeballin me for being a good ol boy from the lone star state!
That's a powerful compliment an Im obliged to you Sir!