Cell phones and brain cancer debunked again

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Another study on top of a stack of studies to prove what we already know.
http://gizmodo.com/a-29-year-study-has-found-no-link-between-brain-cancer-1775038908
By the nature of the multiple variables, large samples and very long lead-time for cancer to show up, the cellphone-brain cancer conversation is always going to be contentious. But studies like this are increasingly showing that if you really want to be safer, forget your cellphones, and look both ways crossing the road.
It's interesting that females show no increase, maybe cell phones have a curative effect. :rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Another study on top of a stack of studies to prove what we already know.
http://gizmodo.com/a-29-year-study-has-found-no-link-between-brain-cancer-1775038908

It's interesting that females show no increase, maybe cell phones have a curative effect. :rolleyes:

So much changed since the brain cancer rumor started. The early phone may have had much higher emissions (when two of our seven sales people did get brain cancer and both died - one 1999 and one 2002). These guys were life-long sales people - never worked in the lab or production plant.

Emissions were way down since then.

Also, few people are talking with the phone-on-ear - most are texting or walking around using speaker phone for longer conversations.

I'm still suspicious of the early phones.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The study population began in 1982. Surely, if early cell phones caused cancer, a spike in incidence would be expected, or the risk is just too low to detect. In either case case, be sure to look both ways before crossing a street. Cell phones do contribute to auto-related deaths.

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The study population began in 1982. Surely, if early cell phones caused cancer, a spike in incidence would be expected, or the risk is just too low to detect. In either case case, be sure to look both ways before crossing a street. Cell phones do contribute to auto-related deaths.

John
The rate of cancer is the entire population while early adoption of cell phones was a small fraction of the population - less than 15% before 2000. Of that 15%, most people had cell phones for emergency use (I bought one for my wife in case she had car trouble when we lived in Detroit). So, in that period, I would say, only people with unlimited use of cell phones (about 10% of users (1.5% of total population)). Then, of that 1.5% of population, you'll have to look which specific phones users were looking at. There were about 10 different popular models. Taking a hint from Audioguru we must assume that nobody buys an AVERAGE phone, so we'll have to look at specific phones. Let's say 2 of those (20%) had extraordinary emissions and, generously, say maket share was equal which brings us to 20% of 1.5%. Brings us to 0.3% of the population at risk.

Now, when cancer rates by cell phone use are 10% increase over baseline! they are lost in the noise in this kind of analysis (comparing 0.3% of the population that is at risk to the entire population when only 6/100,000 actually get the disease). To pull the effect out of the noise, regular cell phone users (of the risky models of cell phones) would need to contract cancer at a rate of 100x the base population rate to pull the rate up to 7.5/100,000. If cell phone usage were only causing a 10x to 30x increase ("only" 10 to 30 times!) increase in cancer rate, then the rate of cancer for the entire population would be up 0.15 to 0.5/100,000 which is apparently in the noise of the data.

Looking at averages of averages of average and comparing to a general population is a prime example of how lawyers try to avoid liability for clients that own superfund sites. Works like a charm in court. It completely buries the devil hidden in the details.

image.jpg

johnmariow

Joined May 4, 2016
It would be very difficult to corner the cause of cancer. Malignent brain tumors develop for many reasons. For the past 37 years, I've been working an average of six hours or more a day in front of a computer. Many of the monitors were the old style monitors. I've owned a cell phone for the past 17 years. The fact that I never had cancer does not prove anything with regard to the topic of the post.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Another story that actually shows rats live longer with high RF levels.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/cell-phone-radiation-linked-tumorsrats-government-study/
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — High exposure to radiofrequency radiation — the radiation known as RFR and emitted from your cell phone — causes a rare cancer in male rats, according to draft conclusions released by the National Institutes of Health on Friday.
From the rat study.
At the end of the 2-year studies, survival was significantly greater in all groups of exposed male rats in the GSM study (50% to 68%) and at 3 and 6 W/kg in the CDMA study (48% to 62%) compared to the male sham control group (28%).
Finally, reduced chronic progressive nephropathy in RFR-exposed male rats compared to sham controls in the 2-year studies was the likely basis for the higher survival rate of RFR-exposed males (in particular in the GSM exposure groups).
https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/about_ntp/trpanel/2018/march/tr595peerdraft.pdf

That RFR stuff might be good for rat kidneys. "RadioFrequency Radiation — the radiation known as RFR", that is scary @ 9W/kg exposure on a poor rat or ~800W for a big human.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Another story that actually shows rats live longer with high RF levels.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/cell-phone-radiation-linked-tumorsrats-government-study/

From the rat study.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/about_ntp/trpanel/2018/march/tr595peerdraft.pdf

That RFR stuff might be good for rat kidneys. "RadioFrequency Fadiation — the radiation known as RFR", that is scary @ 9W/kg exposure on a poor rat or ~800W for a big human.

I just rigged the door sensor of my microwave to operate without the door. I am standing in front of it on high power. I am going to live to be 200 years old! :eek:

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Practically everyone has a mobile phone these days and if there was a real risk of getting cancer from phone radiation, we'd be seeing a ton of bodies coming out of the oncology ward of every hospital. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.