9-1-1 from cell phones

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m watching a story about the 911 emergency cell phone service in the US. It was designed for the landline network. So when they receive a call from a cell phone, often they have no clue from where the call is originating.

One of the commentators said that if they can deliver a pizza to your door, they should be able to tell emergency responders where to go. Apparently, some tech companies have shared their geolocation technology, but it’s an issue of updating the many disparate systems with the new technology. First, the systems might need to be updated for Amazon, Apple, Samsung, et al. That is, there is no one technology that works for all cell phone subscribers. Some 10,000 cell subscribers now have their location identified using this process, but many more are at risk.

The cell phone contains GPS, a microprocessor and easily updated system software. It seems to me that is a better place to improve the 911 system. When dialing 911, why not use GPS to construct and emulate the landline connection. Or even transmit GPS location within the audio stream?

Thoughts?

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I keep the GPS disabled on my phone. No need to allow Apple etc to track me. I can enable it when I want to. Location can still be determined from the cell tower data, maybe not as accurately but good enough. Interesting how that GPS disable setting is labeled “privacy” on an iPhone.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I keep the GPS disabled on my phone. No need to allow Apple etc to track me. I can enable it when I want to. Location can still be determined from the cell tower data, maybe not as accurately but good enough. Interesting how that GPS disable setting is labeled “privacy” on an iPhone.

You only think it is disabled. It can still be accessed.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have an Acer phone running Android 5.1.1. I only use it as a phone. I don't need a data plan. I can do all that stuff on my computers and tablets. I disabled the GPS app the day I got the phone for the same reason. I also run it in "power save" mode and disabled Google and all of it's apps because I found out that, even when I had the Wi-Fi disabled, it was spending all kinds of time accessing the internet to constantly update it's self and to save my settings and preferences so it could inundate me with appropriate advertising.
With those changes, I now only have to re-charge my phone every ten days instead of every day, and accessing text or phone messages is instantaneous. I no longer have to wait for Google to finish whatever it was doing.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
I’m watching a story about the 911 emergency cell phone service in the US. It was designed for the landline network. So when they receive a call from a cell phone, often they have no clue from where the call is originating.

One of the commentators said that if they can deliver a pizza to your door, they should be able to tell emergency responders where to go. Apparently, some tech companies have shared their geolocation technology, but it’s an issue of updating the many disparate systems with the new technology. First, the systems might need to be updated for Amazon, Apple, Samsung, et al. That is, there is no one technology that works for all cell phone subscribers. Some 10,000 cell subscribers now have their location identified using this process, but many more are at risk.

The cell phone contains GPS, a microprocessor and easily updated system software. It seems to me that is a better place to improve the 911 system. When dialing 911, why not use GPS to construct and emulate the landline connection. Or even transmit GPS location within the audio stream?

Thoughts?
Most Android devices provide an "Emergency Location Service" feature which does just that (enabled by default, usually). Not sure about Apple phones but most likely they do as well.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Do you really know that? or are you speaking from a general mistrust of Apple products in general? I do understand that the cell companies collect data from their towers and aggregate it.
The GPS hardware never turns off, it's just a permissions setting blocking apps from being allowed to access the device’s location that can be overridden in an instant remotely by E911 services or any OS OEM with remote root access.
https://www.fcc.gov/general/9-1-1-and-e9-1-1-services

Don't want GPS tracking? Get an old phone with no GPS hardware or 'fix' your current phone.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Thoughts?
Already does. E911 services.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Already does. E911 services.
The piece mentioned that. They also stated that E911 isn’t available everywhere. In fact, the areas in which it is available is insignificant compared to the rest of the country. There is a significant cost to upgrade. I haven’t verified the veracity of these statements.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The piece mentioned that. They also stated that E911 isn’t available everywhere. In fact, the areas in which it is available is insignificant compared to the rest of the country. There is a significant cost to upgrade. I haven’t verified the veracity of these statements.
It's a fed mandate for future FCC carrier licensing so eventually it will be available everywhere with few exceptions.
https://www.fcc.gov/public-safety-a...accuracy-indoor-benchmarks#block-menu-block-4

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Focusing on GPS misses the even more accurate use of WiFi for location tracking. GPS is great, and very useful, but because many companies have driven across the US (e.g.: Google Street View) collecting the precise coordinates of WiFi networks, the phone’s best location method is which WIFi networks it hears.

You do not have to connect to them for the phone to hear them and work out a location.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is there a way to test (sans actually dialing 911) your device to know if 911 can locate you accurately?
To do this you call your local 911 dispatch on the non-emergency number and tell them you want to be sure your E911 information is correct. They’ll have you call 911, and check it for you. They might have you call back, or have the dispatcher call you.