Ceiling Fan - converting resistors to capacitors

TryingToFixit

Joined Mar 12, 2018
My ceiling fans date from the 1950s. They are controlled by a dial that progressively connects more (or less) resistance in series. At the lowest speed setting, the total resistance is 260 ohm as read by a DC multimeter.

I want to convert to capacitive controllers. What uF rating should I use?

I’m on 240v, 50Hz (Australia).

If I convert using the formula C = 1/2/Pi/50/R I get about 12uF as equivalent to 260 ohm. I would need a C value of 24uF to replicate a mid setting on the resistor.

But, fan controllers on the market have C values of 1uF up to 6 uF which is much less.

So I am wondering if I am doing something wrong with the calculation? Or is it because the fans are so old?

Thanks!

TryingToFixit

Joined Mar 12, 2018
Thanks Dodgydave, very helpful... it seems like the calcs were about right.

So I tried a 3-speed fan controller I had lying around just to see what speeds I’d get. It had 1.6uF, 2.3uF and full voltage. Not surprisingly the fan is too slow at 1.6uF and 2.3uF. I estimated its RPM at 40 and 62 respectively. Modern fans seem to do about 100 RPM on low and 150 RPM on medium. So, as expected, I need higher C values, probably more like 10uF and 20uF.

Given I have two data points for RPM at 1.6uF and 2.3uF, is there some way I can figure out what C values I need to get 100 RPM and 150 RPM?

Out of interest, why does a fan from the 1950s need C values that are so much higher than modern fans?

Thanks!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Out of interest, why does a fan from the 1950s need C values that are so much higher than modern fans?
Just a guess. The motor is more efficient? Many things from back in the day weren't built efficiency in mind, even the bearings in a modern fan are much better.