CB Radio Antenna

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
If I put the Antron A99 Antenna in my Bedroom Window will it work with my Uniden Bearcat CB CB Radio?

How far can I Transmit and Receive with is 16 Feet above Ground?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
How did You manage to put a 22-foot tall Antenna "in your Window" ?????

The Antenna needs to be mounted a least ~5-feet higher than your Roof to work as advertised.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Nothing that You can "just-hang-out-the-Window" is going to work very well.

You selected a rather "high-end" Antenna,
that will probably work very well,
if You can get it mounted on your Roof safely.

Otherwise,
get 2 pieces, of any kind of Wire, and cut them to exactly 9-feet-long,
then, the one that is attached to the Center-Conductor of the Coax-Cable
should be hung outside your Window.
This will give You about 1-mile of Range during the Day,
and maybe about ~5-miles of Range at Night.

There are other DIY solutions for indoor Antennas if You are interested.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
About just hanging the coax-made dipole. Its far not so simple as seems. Have made it several different constructions. And all rather bad. Firstly, the transmitter output of course is assymetric whilst the dipole is symmetric. There ought be balun between them or it alternatives with or without the impedance transforming factor - (flower pot, quarter wave loop etc). Next, the different sorts of coax may have the shortening factor between margins of 0.88....0.66 thus the 9 feet "accurately" is extra disputable term. Next, the impedance of such antenna is far off the 50 Ohm, and, even off from 75 Ohms. Yet it is possible to adjust it slight using non-180 deg angle between the vibrators and even changing wire thickness but fact that to gather antenna VSWR made of cable beyond the 1.5 is more than tricky. When demanded is at least 1.2

Let none would say I am criticizing without giving the positive alternatives - here are much better constructions - the loop antenna (quadrat), the double quadrat, the triple quadrat, the CLC stick, the J-pole (be careful, very sensitive about gap size, even 0.1 mm shaking demolizes the characteristics), the Sli-Jim, the quadratic resonator Yagi, the 1/4 wave Ground Plane, the 3/4 wave Ground Plane and at least first is very much fitted for balcony installation.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
This has become a duplicate thread. Here is my answer in the first thread (others answered too).

@biferi there is no good antenna for 27MHz that you can “stick out your window”. Adapting a mobile antenna (as mentioned in the response above) or a marine antenna (expensive, but designed to not need a separate ground plane) will “work” but not very well.

You are up against physics on a band with a wavelength of ~36ft an antenna less than about 18ft long is going to be a compromise, and while that’s not fatal, the shorter you go the less you will be able to hear (or reach). Most CB antennas are pretty crappy as a result.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Ya`akov
quadratic antenna - standard window size at serie 104 houses are 2.70x1.80 (m). Thus the loop perimeter of quadrat is 9 meters. Means wavelength 36 meters..... :) :) The window is too LARGE!! Must be made smaller. Thats physics!:)

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Yepp about duplicate thread. Actually TWO antenna related threads are placed at Common Problems chapter. Ought be forcefully lifted to Antenna chapter. If You have a moderator rights, this would be good job, indeed. Thanks!

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
And, if about physics! Sorry I`m too easy firing hearing that name, physics. I had tutoring physics more than 20 years, somehow, as my second job.Even if we take the full size (non-shortened) CLC or GroundPlane, the lambda quarter is 300/27/4=2.777 meters or with taking in account the V(F) at least 0.95 or worst case 0.66 we get the physical length the 2.64 or 1.86 meters. Even if the tip of the antenna will slightly stick out of the glass frame, antenna may be mounted on kronshtein some 10-20 inches outside the wall, and the tip of it for sure will not ticking into upper neighbour window in the windy weather.
I would care more about absolutely another thing. If for some 50 mW or even 250 mW transmitter the EM field is tiny, then at 25 W station the longer persistance near the antenna is medically harmful as stated in ICNIRP-97 medical proofs section. Its worth to read it through. To keep the humans out the antenna at least for half wave distance is wise indeed. Thus the whole idea to mount the transmitter in window is unwealthy even if first years after installing no any notable changes are observed. Those 60 V/m limit isnt a joke, being set as the normative regulated at most of States over the World.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
And, if about physics! Sorry I`m too easy firing hearing that name, physics. I had tutoring physics more than 20 years, somehow, as my second job.Even if we take the full size (non-shortened) CLC or GroundPlane, the lambda quarter is 300/27/4=2.777 meters or with taking in account the V(F) at least 0.95 or worst case 0.66 we get the physical length the 2.64 or 1.86 meters. Even if the tip of the antenna will slightly stick out of the glass frame, antenna may be mounted on kronshtein some 10-20 inches outside the wall, and the tip of it for sure will not ticking into upper neighbour window in the windy weather.
I said a good antenna. I consider a good antenna one at least having the correct polarization, a gain figure more then 0dBi—in the right direction (in this case, omni with a good take off angle). It is the physics, particularly the long wavelength, combined with the constrained space that prevents anything but a poor compromise from being practical.

Of course you can make some antenna if resonance is the only criterion. But, it’s not.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: Ya`akov
You are true about goodness. Because when (just small time ago in very end of eighties) every rich man walked around with pager, and mobile phone meant Nokia 150 or later Nokia 450 - box of some 10-15 kg of weight when pressing the tangent in car all the electronic watches started to show midnight :) :) - then I got somewhere the few 27 MHz stations from far-beating choffeurs. I had one friend then in Jelgava city while I was in Riga, thats about 40 km. No any even bad signal. Went out of Riga inboard, distance 37 km - wonderful traffick. Tried to put one at mum house just the diameter off my home, distance 10 km, the satisfactory traffic however much of disturbances. And thats with 25 W !!!

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Range is going to be super subjective to what's going on in the environment at that moment. As kids we used CB's to communicate, long before cell phones. I had a hand held with about a 3-foot (1m) pull-out antenna, and an optional smaller flexible antenna. The long antenna worked better than the flexible one. At night it would easily go 3-4 miles in low power mode (1w I think). In the middle of the day I was lucky to get 1-2 miles in high power mode (5w). I also had a CB in my truck for a while, with an antenna on the roof of the truck. Range issues were similar. Things that will affect range include things like whatever is happening in the atmosphere at that moment, ground clutter and whether both antennas are above it, anything else electronic operating that can interfere, etc.. Also different channels have slightly different frequencies. If you get a tunable antenna and a TX power meter, you can tune the antenna to work best on the channel that you use most often.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Well let me aks about Truckers?

Truck Drivers are not 5. Feet above a House how does the CB Radios they have work?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well let me aks about Truckers?

Truck Drivers are not 5. Feet above a House how does the CB Radios they have work?
Poorly. The antennas are very inefficient. They are close to whoever they want to talk to, and if not it will be a base station with a large antenna mounted very high.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
RE: Ya`akov
You are true about goodness. Because when (just small time ago in very end of eighties) every rich man walked around with pager, and mobile phone meant Nokia 150 or later Nokia 450 - box of some 10-15 kg of weight when pressing the tangent in car all the electronic watches started to show midnight :) :) - then I got somewhere the few 27 MHz stations from far-beating choffeurs. I had one friend then in Jelgava city while I was in Riga, thats about 40 km. No any even bad signal. Went out of Riga inboard, distance 37 km - wonderful traffick. Tried to put one at mum house just the diameter off my home, distance 10 km, the satisfactory traffic however much of disturbances. And thats with 25 W !!!
In the US, CB on 27MHz is limited to 4W. When I used CB (in the mid 70’s) the sunspot cycle was favorable. We had a large base station antenna at 60 feet in the air. I got a few miles coverage—or a few hundred due to E-Layer skip. Even from the mobile we worked stations hundreds of miles away. On the base station, I worked Europe on occasion.

But for local coverage even the ⅝ wave vertical antenna at ~20m only measured its range in single digit miles most days.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: LowQCab - sth very simi8lar is that I said quadratic loop antenna. This yet is double. Them are highly effective however the radiation pattern in vertical plane is too wide. And they easily can be smaller than lambda, wire length.

RE: Ya`akov - the few miles law is in force when both antennas stay in the eye heigth of man. My case one antenna was car roof and another at fifth floor balcony height (15 meters).
By the way, 27 MHz still is the wavelength where the minimal refraction is still happening. It is sure lighter than Earth curvarture, but anyway enough to give a notable non-passing with classical VHF formula of distance between the antenna tip and point in which the wave track will meet the ground L=3.5sqrt(H), where H is in meters but L in kilometers. When the antenna H=2 m, then L=1.4 km to ground , what means 3 km to second antenna. 3 km=2 miles, voila!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The trick is .........
It will work better than any other Antenna design that is
actually practical to fit INSIDE of an average house/room.

DbLoud120

Joined May 26, 2014
Attached is the user manual in case you might need it.
I have had one installed on my roof for about 25 years and it still works fine.
It may work however not at all an optimal setup.
You should at the very least obtain an swr meter to check for poor standing wave as it could damage your radio if too high.

Attachments

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
In the US, CB on 27MHz is limited to 4W. When I used CB (in the mid 70’s) the sunspot cycle was favorable. We had a large base station antenna at 60 feet in the air. I got a few miles coverage—or a few hundred due to E-Layer skip. Even from the mobile we worked stations hundreds of miles away. On the base station, I worked Europe on occasion.

But for local coverage even the ⅝ wave vertical antenna at ~20m only measured its range in single digit miles most days.
Are you sure it's not 5W max? I haven't bought any CB radios in recent years, but I believe all of my old ones were 5W. There are surely different rules for marine bands, but the handheld I use for my boat is 6W.