Career with programming skills

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi
do IT companies hire people with programming skills but without any certificates or college degrees?
Not very likely for an established company. More likely with a startup company; the downside of that is you need a way to support yourself until the company starts making money.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi
do IT companies hire people with programming skills but without any certificates or college degrees?
If you have a strong portfolio of work you can show them, then they are much more likely to overlook the lack of professional credentials. If you haven't already, start putting some of your best work on GitHub and make that available to the companies you apply to.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I do not have a degree in computer sciences. I was hired as a tech to repair and install PCs for my company. I installed purchased software that I had no input on the purchase. It turned out to be a piece of garbage and we likely paid a small fortune for said garbage. I rewrote the application in less than a month. I have been working as a software engineer for my company ever since.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I do not have a degree in computer sciences. I was hired as a tech to repair and install PCs for my company. I installed purchased software that I had no input on the purchase. It turned out to be a piece of garbage and we likely paid a small fortune for said garbage. I rewrote the application in less than a month. I have been working as a software engineer for my company ever since.
You may or may not be able to give insight to the TS's question from a valuable perspective. You became a software engineer but weren't hired as one. Without the degree credentials, how hard do you think it would have been for you to get hired with a different company (one that didn't know your and your work) in a software engineering, or even more basic computer programming, position?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You may or may not be able to give insight to the TS's question from a valuable perspective. You became a software engineer but weren't hired as one. Without the degree credentials, how hard do you think it would have been for you to get hired with a different company (one that didn't know your and your work) in a software engineering, or even more basic computer programming, position?

Hard to say. It was a different day back then. I really had been doing some programming pretty much from day 1 of my career. Started maintaining a PDP11-04 security system. Made trouble shooting a lot easier if you could write machine code to test out various parts of the system.

I also had my own one product software company. ;) So I guess I could have pointed to that.

I think it really depends on how desperate the company is and if they are willing to take a chance. The way employers in the US "claim" it is impossible to hire anyone stateside and have to go offshore so much, you would think they would hire just about anyone stateside. :eek:

If I were the TS, I would do one of two things or even both.

1. Start doing some small jobs on your own. Talk to friends that have small businesses and see if they need any custom coding.

2. Go to a consulting company. They don't seem to be real picky on talent. We hired a consulting company to help us get through a huge workload. Big mistake. A lot of work got done but it is of poor quality. I will probably end up rewriting most of the stuff that was turned over to me. But if you are good and can please the client, you might end up getting hired by that client to work direct for their company.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hi
Why is that Difficult and not likely?;

I as an employer want some evident that the person in question was able to obtain knowledge. ( person m/f was able to finish a high level education)
This does not say anything about the capability of the person ( a professor end up useless and the cleaner turns out to be the right person for the job). However we do not want to experiment with people. (It's time consuming and result for both parties uncertain)

The best way, as stated before, is to work you way up and prove management that you are able to do more than your current task.
A long way to go but is will create trust and gives you the time to gather all knowledge needed. ( maybe you are allowed to follow internal seminars)

Picbuster

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Yes, but it will be a lot easier to get in the door if you have something on paper, and/or experience. The trick is to get to the technical interview. The interviewer can tell right away if they're talking to someone with knowledge or not, the trick is how do you get to that point without something on paper. The suggestions above are good. One of our lead developers had a degree in marine biology.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not likely if you want to work at a large company. Unless you have years of experience, all they have to go on is your education and grades. They don't like to make hiring mistakes because it's difficult to get rid of someone; assuming you get past the probationary period.

I spent decades in the semiconductor industry and started at a time when degrees weren't used as a primary filter. If you knew someone who would refer you, you could get an interview.

That wasn't so much the case the last couple decades of my career. I used to joke with colleagues that I wouldn't even merit a phone screen for the job I was currently doing (because the minimum degree requirement was a PhD).

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
It depends in which country you are, in Europe they are more interested will you pass the test.
If they need you, they will hire you, it doesnt depend on the company size, just on the behaviour that they have in that country.

millie9

Joined Aug 14, 2018
If you are good at programming/skills IT companies will hire you. There is no issue if you don't have a college degree or certificate. Check the official google careers website. They have clearly mentioned they don't require cs degree to get a job at Google.

Do I need a computer science degree to be a Google software engineer?
No, a CS degree isn’t required for our software engineering or product manager roles.