Car that runs on saltwater

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...60mph-2-8-seconds-just-approved-EU-roads.html

If the topic seems not seriously it can be removed.
The first question is if you think it is a good or not good idea?

Next thing it is to realize this experiment at a smaller scale to note if is something useful.
For example, I think at construction of such element that has to light up an LED.

For now I am studying how to build such a galvanic elemet(battery, rechargeable battery).
If anyone knows how it can be built and please post, explain.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The usual misleading (old) POP-SCI article.
https://qz.com/261450/this-sports-car-runs-on-saltwater-but-its-no-threat-to-tesla/
It’s a shame, then, that the makers of the Quant e-Sportlimousine had to put their amazing saltwater battery in a car that, should it ever hit the market, may cost about $1.7 million, making Tesla’s Model S luxury electric car look like a bargain at $70,000 to $95,000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery
https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/...2715-125923/unrestricted/MQP_Final_Report.pdf

Last edited:

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
A simple calculation:
Gasoline: 44MJ/kg at 0.76Kg/l
Battery with salt water: 100Wh/Kg

Otto efficiency 30%.
Efficiency for electrical power converted into mechanical energy (electrical motor): 50%

Gasoline and saltwater appear to be comparable in Km traveled/Kg fuel.

"It’s a shame, then, that the makers of the Quant e-Sportlimousine had to put their amazing saltwater battery in a car that, should it ever hit the market, may cost about $1.7 million, "
Are they justified these amounts?
Is it really so high costs for such a battery?

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
A salt water galvanic battery and a salt water fuel cell are different things. The reason our efficiencies are low is because we use chemical processes to initially separate the charge. That's our input power. And because of this our output power is less than the input.

Hydro is cheap cause the water fall is free.

We can use rf and laser to separate charge. But again when you compare in to out......not very efficient. But I think that in the future we will be able to separate charge with very little power.

We just need the right frequencies. Which are very high.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
A salt water galvanic battery and a salt water fuel cell are different things.
It's here talking about battery or about fuel cell?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_water_battery

Do you agree with the statement?:
"the battery's specific energy was approximately 100 Watthour/kg" (from wiki)

We can use rf and laser to separate charge.
Regardless of the method we use this energy for separate charge.I do not think that if the technique is more sophisticated (LASER, RF), more effective necessarily.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Making a regular salt water battery would be as easy as making a lemon battery. The salt water is just the electrolyte. Adding the right metal plates, we get a small battery. Lots of small batteries combined together makes up a large battery with higher power. The main limiting factors are the energy vs weight and the friction (and other losses) vs motor action.
As the battery gets larger it gets more powerful but it also gets heavier (water roughly 8 pounds per gallon) and as it gets heavier the friction increases. If you can move one battery with its own power then if the friction vs weight is linear then you can move 10 batteries if everything scales up linearly. The question is, can we move one battery with any motor we might find without requiring an extra power source input. Lemons can light up white LEDs, but can they power a motor that is strong enough to move themselves under the weight of gravity and the associated friction. Maybe if we used really good bearings and a capacitor to help overcome the static friction.
Anyone want to try this experiment? :)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

Making a regular salt water battery would be as easy as making a lemon battery. The salt water is just the electrolyte. Adding the right metal plates, we get a small battery. Lots of small batteries combined together makes up a large battery with higher power. The main limiting factors are the energy vs weight and the friction (and other losses) vs motor action.
As the battery gets larger it gets more powerful but it also gets heavier (water roughly 8 pounds per gallon) and as it gets heavier the friction increases. If you can move one battery with its own power then if the friction vs weight is linear then you can move 10 batteries if everything scales up linearly. The question is, can we move one battery with any motor we might find without requiring an extra power source input. Lemons can light up white LEDs, but can they power a motor that is strong enough to move themselves under the weight of gravity and the associated friction. Maybe if we used really good bearings and a capacitor to help overcome the static friction.
If this thread was really about a car that ran on 'saltwater' batteries it might be interesting but the battery technology in the OP car doesn't use sodium ions in it's flow battery. They have two different metal ion electrolytes in tanks.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hi,

I obviously.

What metals are needed?
I think the problem is not expressed well.
There is no question if that car can travel a short distance. Sure it can do.
The problem is which is the distance that can do.

"The question is, can we move one battery with any motor we might find without requiring an extra power source input." Sure. But the problem is the distance. It is big difference between 1 cm and 100Km

Not force is requiring energy.
The work (W=the force* distance) requires energy(J).

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...60mph-2-8-seconds-just-approved-EU-roads.html

If the topic seems not seriously it can be removed.
The first question is if you think it is a good or not good idea?

Next thing it is to realize this experiment at a smaller scale to note if is something useful.
For example, I think at construction of such element that has to light up an LED.

For now I am studying how to build such a galvanic elemet(battery, rechargeable battery).
If anyone knows how it can be built and please post, explain.
So you just pull up to the nearest sea shore to refuel? What fueling station do you go to for refueling?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I obviously.

What metals are needed?
I think the problem is not expressed well.
There is no question if that car can travel a short distance. Sure it can do.
The problem is which is the distance that can do.

"The question is, can we move one battery with any motor we might find without requiring an extra power source input." Sure. But the problem is the distance. It is big difference between 1 cm and 100Km

Not force is requiring energy.
The work (W=the force* distance) requires energy(J).
Hi,

Yes sure. Use whatever standard you think is practical and see what you can get out of it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If this thread was really about a car that ran on 'saltwater' batteries it might be interesting but the battery technology in the OP car doesn't use sodium ions in it's flow battery. They have two different metal ion electrolytes in tanks.
Hi,

Yeah silly me thinking that a thread titled, "Car that runs on saltwater battery", is about a car that runs on a saltwater battery :) :)