Car Ramps anyone?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
He did a few things right, like a 2x4 softener between the concrete blocks and the steel stands, but the blocks are turned soft side up and the 2x4 on the right isn't long enough.
That's a, "bet your life" scenario by a true, shade tree mechanic.:D
You can probably wait a while and get the ramps for free from his widow.:(

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Pits are far safer than any ramp ... but they're also uncomfortable, dirtier and harder to clean ... I honestly don't know which I'd prefer

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Pits are far safer than any ramp ... but they're also uncomfortable, dirtier and harder to clean ... I honestly don't know which I'd prefer
My preference is to hand the keys to the Nissan Service manager and say, fix it. I know that may sound elitist but I'm done with that - I haven't crawled under a car since I was 40. I'll still do body work, brakes and struts but nothing that requires me to crawl under a lifted car - exhaust, steering, CV joints, ...

PS. I also will not on a roof or a ladder more than 10 feet.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What's "soft side up"?
The block is stronger if the voids are vertical (giving compression strength on all top surface). When the void is horizontal - as shown - only three walls support the compression and if the user is dumb enough to put the weight of the vehicle on the unsupported section of the block (above a void - "soft" section), then the block can easily be crushed by the vehicle and the vehicle then crushes the ignorant user.

When these blocks are used to build anything, the voids are vertical.