Car multimedia player Ribbon cable repair

shcxatter2

Joined Jun 7, 2020
So guys the display ribbon cable on my JVC KD-AVX44 went bad, and I was wondering if I can find something similar, or if it's just a proprietary cable, that only JVC uses. It's a 24 pin ribbon cable with a regular termination on one side, but on the the other it's split into two 12 pin termination points. Will I be able to find something similar or should I buy just an ordinary 24 pin ribbon cable and try to make it work?IMG_20200606_123616.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How do you know the cable went bad -- that is before you removed it?

Are JVC replacement cables available ? If so and if not more than $30, buy one.

shcxatter2

Joined Jun 7, 2020
How do you know the cable went bad -- that is before you removed it?

Are JVC replacement cables available ? If so and if not more than $30, buy one.
It's an old player and they don't make the replacement parts anymore. I know the cable went bad, cause I gave it for repair and they told me . Also I saw that some of the tracks were severed after I took it back.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That looks like a purpose designed connector. Sometimes tracks in new cables are cut for a reason. Was it that way when you took it in for repair?

You might be able to design a PCB to fit the contacts. Then put a conventional FPC connector on top to go to new cable.

shcxatter2

Joined Jun 7, 2020
That looks like a purpose designed connector. Sometimes tracks in new cables are cut for a reason. Was it that way when you took it in for repair?

You might be able to design a PCB to fit the contacts. Then put a conventional FPC connector on top to go to new cable.
I actually didn't take a look at the insides before I took it for repair, so I don't know if the tracks were cut on purpose, but it didn't seem like that was the case.
Would you expand on the idea with the PCB , cause I don't think I follow.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Just convert the area of contact that you show to a PCB.* Call that the bottom. Use via's to connect the bottom to the top where a convention FPC connector will be soldered. From thereon, as I understand your first post, you can just use a conventional FPC.

*I have seen other devices that use a clamp to make contact between and FPC and a PCB rather than a connector. I suspect it needs to be pretty flat and/or add a conductive paste.