Capacitor with speakers

josepars

Joined Nov 28, 2018
hi everyone
what is the function of the capacitor which is connected via speaker? How to use it and how to select its value?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The purpose of the capacitor in series with the loudspeaker is to block DC current which could potentially destroy both the amplifier and the speaker.

You have not provided enough technical information in order to determine the required capacitance and voltage, i.e. low frequency falloff, supply voltages, power output, speaker impedance.

Without knowing the above data, 1000μF / 50V aluminium electrolytic capacitor is a good starting point.

josepars

Joined Nov 28, 2018
there is 8 ohm 2 watt speaker. How to connect the capacitor polarity and how to make its calculation? Also, I am new in this subjects how can I learn this point in electronic?

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
ADVANCED PHOTONIX INC AP5668 is a 3-channel 2.6W audio amplifier.
Are you building this yourself from scratch?
Max supply voltage is 6V.

220-470μ 10V capacitor will do.
Negative polarity goes to the speaker.

Consult the manufacturer's datasheet and application notes for proper connections.

Edit: This amplifier has inverting and non-inverting outputs. In other words you can bridge the outputs and no series capacitor is required.

josepars

Joined Nov 28, 2018
How did you determine the Farad value? Speaker has + and - polarity.Where should I connect the capacitor ?How can I learn these details about electronic?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Look at the datasheet.
Left channel speaker + connection goes to VoLP.
Left channel speaker - connection goes to VoLN.

Right channel speaker + connection goes to VoRP.
Right channel speaker - connection goes to VoRN.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For series capacitance calculation, you can use any value capacitance. Only the low frequency response will suffer.

Look up High Pass Filter calculator and calculate the low frequency cut-off for any given R and C.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you get the polarity of the speaker the wrong way, you won't damage the speaker, you will get a Flatter sound in Stereo, this only applies to one speaker being wired wrong.
If both speakers are wired wrong then the Stereo signal will be normal.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Basically if you wire one of the stereo speakers out-of-phase, the lower and bass frequencies tend to be cancelled in the air.
Thus most of what you hear are the higher frequency sounds, as if the bass speaker wasn't working.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
hi everyone
what is the function of the capacitor which is connected via speaker? How to use it and how to select its value?
Without telling us if the capacitor is across the speaker or in series with the speaker, or the value of the capacitor, the best you can get is a guess. There are at least three different reasons for using a capacitor with a speaker.

josepars

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Without telling us if the capacitor is across the speaker or in series with the speaker, or the value of the capacitor, the best you can get is a guess. There are at least three different reasons for using a capacitor with a speaker.
I am beginner in the electronic due to that my aim is to learn about it so I ask the relation of the capacitor and speaker.If there is another reason can you share please ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am beginner in the electronic due to that my aim is to learn about it so I ask the relation of the capacitor and speaker.If there is another reason can you share please ?
And several people have asked which of two connections do you have?
1) Is the capacitor in series with one of the speaker connections?
2) or is the capacitor wired in parallel with both of the speaker connections?

josepars

Joined Nov 28, 2018
And several people have asked which of two connections do you have?
1) Is the capacitor in series with one of the speaker connections?
2) or is the capacitor wired in parallel with both of the speaker connections?
Capacitor in series but I want to learn both of connections type

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Post #18 shows capacitors used for frequency separation, usually called a "Crossover Circuit". That arrangement is found in systems that are intended to cover a wider frequency range.
A second use of a series capacitor, usually with a larger value of capacitance and also with a definite polarity is for DC blocking, This is used when the output is directly driven by transistors, rather than circuits that use a transformer for both coupling and impedance matching. Those circuits do not usually have an DC potential at the output, which would damage a speaker.
The third application is quite different, it uses much smaller values of capacitance between the speaker leads and the circuit common connection, often called "ground". The purpose for these capacitors is to bypass RF, (radio frequency) voltages that may be picked up by the speaker connection wires, and which would interfere with the operation of either the audio amplifier or other portions of the system in that package. This application is mostly found in radio communications equipment.
So there you have a summary of what capacitors would be doing in a speaker connection.