Capacitive Touchscreen LED repair?

Truth71

Joined May 13, 2020
Hi All,

I'm VERY inexperienced when it comes to repairing electronics, so I thought I'd come here with this question...

I recently bought a used InFocus JTouch 40" LED Touchscreen monitor. I got it for really cheap because the touchscreen is registering being touched when there's no contact. I figured it was worth getting to use as a large monitor, but would love to see if I can resolve the touch issue.

I called their support line and was told that, when the touch sensors on these screens start to go bad, interference like radio waves can trigger a touch response. At that point, they don't even bother repairing them as it's not worth the cost of repair. They just do warranty replacement.

As this is out of warranty, I'd like to see if it's possible to repair myself. I looked online and can't seem to find any information on repairing this kind of screen, so I wanted to check here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I went to get a video of the way the screen is acting, and now the touch function doesn't seem to be responding at all. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Nick

Truth71

Joined May 13, 2020
An update on this--

I disassembled the screen - the digitizer is actually very easy to remove from the rest of the assembly - and gave the inside of a screen a cleaning to ensure there wasn't anything inside causing a connection on the screen. I also momentarily applied a ground to the sensor connectors, because I read on another forum that the screens can sometimes hold a charge that keeps them from functioning properly.

I reassembled everything, and it worked fine for about a day, but then the ghost touch started showing up in another section of the screen. I powered it down overnight, tried it again, and it worked for a few hours and then the ghost touch shoed up in the original area again.

The radio wave theory is starting to make sense to me - is there any way to insulate in order to overcome the issue? Or if I'm off the mark, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick