Capacitive Touch Car Switches

Alex Mallaburn

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Hi Guys,

I currently have 2 accessory switches in my car.

1 is wired as an external power button for a nexus 7 tablet that I have installed into dash at the moment I have an illuminated momentary switch there this takes 12v from the car and is wired so it illuminates when ignition is on and when pressed it connects the positive and negative wires I have soldered onto the Nexus 7's power ribbon. So pressing this button would be like pressing the power button on your iPhone, press it once screen wakes, hold and the turn off menu pops up etc.

Switch no.2 is wired before all the accessories (small amp / powered USB hub / Nexus 7 OTG charger / Bluetooth module) so it allows me to cut off power to all devices before leaving car so it does not kill the battery. At the moment I have an illuminated toggle switch which looks like a missile switch.

I'm wanting to change both of these switches to capacitive switches as I think it will look tidier and less cheesy/corny.

My problem is I'm not sure where to begin as most capacitive switches I've seen only take up to 5/6v input as they're usually used with Arduino etc. My other problem is that I would like button 1 (the nexus extended power button) to control the device only and not provide additional voltage to the circuit like it is currently wired.

My plan is to install two illuminated capacitive switches (like the HTTM capacitive switches seen on the internet) behind a thin acrylic sheet.

Any help/advice on this would be great. I've seen some ideas using relays but I'm not sure where to start with this the only relay experience I have is a 2ch remote relay I used making an electronic gate opener.

Attachments