Cancel out one light if another is on?

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
I trying to come up with a way to cancel out one light if another is on.

The reason for this is I’ve created a shooting target where there are two identical target systems with various sized paddles you shoot and knock backwards out of sight. Starting with the largest paddle working your way down to the smallest paddle. Whoever gets all their paddles down first wins! I got thinking what if both shooters take their last shot at roughly the same time how would you know whose paddle was knocked over first.

This is where the light comes in. I’m thinking there must be a way to connect these together and somehow cancel one light out when the other is on. I found a push button led auto accent light at Walmart and removed the wires from the push button. I attached one wire to the metal rod that the metal paddles swing on and the other wire to the metal reset rod that the paddles fall back on. Covered the reset rod with gorilla tape except where the last paddle makes contact. When the last paddle makes contact with the reset rod the light comes on which works great!

This may be way over my head as I know nothing about electronics, what symbols mean or how to read diagrams. I will need my hand held.

Here is a diagram of my two target systems with the lights attached.

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
You need to search for a Quiz button indicator circuit.

Here is one with 4 inputs, you can omit any you don't need.

View attachment 115808
As I thought i'm not ready for this project. I have no idea what that diagram means.

I guess if both lights come on simultaneously it will be a tie. Otherwise you should be able to see what light came on first even if they were seconds apart.

Thanks anyway!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Since you are not familiar with electronics, you may just want to build a kit such as this.
If you need to learn how to solder, that site also has a "Learn to Solder" kit.

Alternately,below is a somewhat simpler circuit that can be modified for your purposes.
A resistor can be substituted for the left lamp and an LED substituted for the other lamps.
It would require soldering about 10 parts including the switches.

If you let us know your preference, we can further help you with the design.
Here's a tutorial to help you read schematics.

upload_2016-11-23_8-47-6.png

Last edited:

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated!

I do know how to solder and those quiz show kits maybe the way to go and they may help me understand things better and they are cheap if i mess something up.

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
Would this work?

I found it and thought i might be able to replace the push buttons with my target systems and move the lights via longer wires to a post that would stand next to each target system. The buzzer isn't needed but might be a nice addition.

http://www.instructables.com/id/littleBits-Arduino-Game-Show-Buzzer/

Here is a crude diagram of what i'm thinking. Does anyone know are the components plug and play or are those little circuit boards things are soldered to?

upload_2016-11-23_16-27-31.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That circuit uses an Arduino, which is a microprocessor that has to be programmed.

Here's a circuit that uses two DPDT mechanical relays to provide the lockout function if you want to avoid electronics (except for the required diode spark suppressors across the relay coils).
When either relay is energized by its respective switch, it latches through its own top contacts, lighting its respective LED, while the lower contacts removes the power from the other switch so it can't respond.
The circuit is reset by removing the power. The switch for that is not shown.

upload_2016-11-23_17-52-39.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Actually with some further thought you likely don't need the latch function since the switch stays closed after the last target falls, so you could use SPDT relays and eliminate the top latch connection on each.

One concern: Suppose he shoots the last target down before all of the others. That would give a false win.
You may want to have a switch for each target and connect them in series so that all targets have to be down before the light goes on to avoid any ambiguity.

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they thought i created the game show system?

I got a suggestion to use this. I guess I’m not out much if it doesn’t.

https://www.electronickits.com/game-show-circuit/

I’m thinking soldering two wires instead of the push button and run those to my target system. Then solder two wires from where the light goes and run those to the lights for each target system. If that would work i just need to figure out at way for the reset. Maybe it can be constructed to where that is not needed or somehow make it work with the reset bar?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What is the pushbutton in the upper right. I can't see the complete label, but it looks like "reset".

The product description refers to a master quiz button to reset the indicators.

ikeevens

Joined Nov 23, 2016
What is the pushbutton in the upper right. I can't see the complete label, but it looks like "reset".

The product description refers to a master quiz button to reset the indicators.
I believe that is the reset button. I'm thinking there might be a way to attach the reset button to the reset rod of the target system. If not i guess you'll have to walk down range to reset the lights or attach really long wires to it.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Also the lights it can drive are small LEDs. You can certainly extend wires from there, but it is still only going to be able to drive a small LED. If you want something visible from the other end of the range then you will need a transistor/MOSFET to drive a bigger lamp