Can you use a CRT tester to test audio tubes?

Mike Nelson

Joined Dec 30, 2014
I have a B and K crt reju. and was wondering if you could. I dont think so.

Also, I am studying diodes and they put the electrons in electron flow mode but my book is conventional. It is messing me up on how a diode works.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If I recall from the dark ages, a rejuvinator applied a higher than normal voltage to the filament. The theory being that the higher voltage would generate more heat and boil off the surface contamination from the cathode, thus restoring proper operation. When that didn't work, a BRIGHTNER was installed which applied a higher voltage to the filament all the time. Both approaches just bought a little more time before the CRT needed replaced.

Tube testers, on the other hand, had flexibility by means of switches, different sockets or both, to apply different voltages for various filament requirements as well as being able to apply different plate, screen and control grid voltages while monitoring the plate current for a given control grid voltage. I don't think that a CRT rejuvinator will have the flexibility needed for use as an audio tube tester. Of course, major modifications to the rejuvinator may allow it to be set up for a particular tube.

Others may have a different story.

Mike Nelson

Joined Dec 30, 2014
Ahh sounds like a headache. Thanks man. I'm more worried about the 500V it puts on the other parts besides the filement. Would this make an audio tube blow up? Jw for safety don't care about the tube.