Can you please identify this component?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thanks in advance. Marked as "end sensor" on 2 different VCR pcbs.
The "E" on the PCB screen print is highly suggestive of a photo-transistor - it would more likely be a "K" if it was a photo-diode.

Photo-transistors are slower than PDs, but more sensitive - photo-darlingtons are a lot slower and a lot more sensitive.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

That could well be a photo transistor.
Can you take a picture at an other angle showing all text next to the component?
I bet there will be also a C next to it.

Bertus

MarFene

Joined Feb 27, 2014
there is a C near the other lead , yes there is.

thanks guys always great help . im now going to find some interesting circuits i can experiment with to get familiar.

any suggestions of such schematics?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Photo transistor or diode, its from a vcr tape end sense. Gosh you still using vcrs!!!
Its very easy to get VHS tapes that people are getting rid of, so you can be very choosy and bide your time for favourite movies to turn up.

Pretty good collection of tapes so far - I know where there's a VCR, but I'm too lazy to search for a TV to plug it into.

MarFene

Joined Feb 27, 2014
actually im lucky enough that there is an old timey tv/vcr repair man , who due to old age and due tot he fact that VCRs are not worth fixing anymore , generally just throws everything away in front of his house , and is one of my most frequently visited places to find devices to dismantle and scavenge interesting and old components to use in projects. im not fond of VHS tapes myself .

on the other hand i love tape recorders , but due to the fact that i live on a tiny island , my years long search for a reel to reel tape player keeps going in vain.