Identify this component please

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone
Happy New year!
My drill charger stopped working and it looks like i have a dead “thing” (i think water got in it)
Can someone tell me what this was so I can fit a new one?
Thanks you

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi nick,
That is the correct fuse rating.
Has the copper track on the other side of the PCB been melted away.?
Usually, when a fuse/component has been destroyed, that badly indicates a short circuit elsewhere in the circuit.

E

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
hi nick,
That is the correct fuse rating.
Has the copper track on the other side of the PCB been melted away.?
Usually, when a fuse/component has been destroyed, that badly indicates a short circuit elsewhere in the circuit.

E
Hi Eric
I will check, but i think water got in it.. for the sake a few pounds its worth a punt
Regards
Nick

Halfpint786

Joined Feb 19, 2018
If the fuse is shot, there is a good chance the thermistor and MOV are shot too. You should test them before connecting a new fuse. If either of those are shorted and you jumper the fuse, things might get exciting for a moment.

And I think a fast blow fuse would be the proper choice with that MOV (what looks like an MOV anyhow). Slow blow fuses are for big transformers that might have residual magnetism opposite to the polarity present during power on or other situations with momentary large peaks in current. A battery charger like that probably doesn't eed a slow blow, and it might even cause damage down the line the next time that MOV fires and can't blow the fuse fast enough.

Last edited:

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
If the fuse is shot, there is a good chance the thermistor and MOV are shot too. You should test them before connecting a new fuse. If either of those are shorted and you jumper the fuse, things might get exciting for a moment.

And I think a fast blow fuse would be the proper choice with that MOV (what looks like an MOV anyhow). Slow blow fuses are for big transformers that might have residual magnetism opposite to the polarity present during power on or other situations with momentary large peaks in current. A battery charger like that probably doesn't eed a slow blow, and it might even cause damage down the line the next time that MOV fires and can't blow the fuse fast enough.
thank you :)
Can you tell me which components you are referring to? I will order new bits.
Regards
Nick