Can you drive a full wave voltage multiplier with a flyback?

SiCEngineer

Joined May 22, 2019
Hi all,

Ihave designed 60W flyback converter, feeding full wave voltage multipliers. My results are as expected but my supervisor has expressed doubts around whether it will work, as they say the flyback will only drive the transformer in one direction meaning that the capacitors in the voltage multiplier will not be charged and therefore the output voltage will never be reached.
However, I am so confused because my simulations show that the final output voltage and all capacitors reach the appropriate voltage. Is there possibly something that I am missing? Any input is appreciated, and an explanation of how the you can or cannot charge full wave voltage multipliers / triplers etc with a flyback would be appreciated also.

SiCEngineer

Joined May 22, 2019
If you use LTspice for simulation, please post your .asc file.
sorry, I do sometimes use LTSpice, but I am using PSIM for this at the moment. If you google “Voltage quadrupler” I use that configuration, 4sec Windings and then they are connected in series at the output to generate multiple kV. The inverter is a two switch flyback. Hope that helps.