Can you create a traffic light relay using Arduino UNO?

ve3joc

Joined Feb 10, 2016
I have seen a number of examples of traffic light simulations using the Arduino UNO and 3 LEDs. I have an actual traffic light which runs off of 110/120V. I would like to set it up in the rec room and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to create a circuit where it will step through the cycle, green, pause 10 sec, yellow, pause 10 sec, red, pause 10 sec and then repeat until turned off. Someone suggested to me that I could probably do this using an Arduino UNO but I know absolutely nothing about the Arduino UNO.

My question is,… Can anyone tell me if this is possible with the Arduino and if so, other than the Arduino UNO which I have just purchased, what else would I need to accomplish this?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I think the simple way to do it with Uno is to use 3 relays. So you want relay that would use 5 VDC coil, and pass through 110/120 VAC.

Use Uno digital pins as outputs. Turn On pin, relay coil sees 5 VDC, relay is activated, one light turns On. Delay or timer on Uno runs for 10 seconds. Then the pin is turned off. Next pin turn On, a different relay coil sees 5 VDC, relay is activated, another light turns On. And so on.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hm, stealing from #12.... You could use logic level MOSFET as a switch. Same setup as above. 3 pins, 3 MOSFET to switch On and Off three lights.

ve3joc

Joined Feb 10, 2016
Thank you, very much appreciated. I'll see if I can locate a relay that would use 5 VDC coil, and pass through 110/120 VAC.

I'll also check out the MOSFET idea as well. Thanks again.