Can this EEPROM 93C66 be replaced by 93C06?

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I have looked into the datasheets, but I am still confused. I know the pinouts and voltages match, but still not sure.
As far as I know, new EEPROMS need to be programmed, but I wouldn't know how to do that since the chip I want to replace is located in an air conditioner control board.

I would appreciate any comment about this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
93C56 might be a closer match to 93C06. They are both 256-byte EEPROM with Microwire serial interface.

Why do you think that it needs to be replaced? As you have rightly stated, the EEPROM has to be programmed.

There is a catch. In order to program the new chip you have to obtain the correct data which can be extracted from the old chip.
If you are able to read the old chip then one would assume that the chip is functional. Hence what is the need to replace the chip?

If the chip is bad then you cannot read the data.

Catch 22.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
93C56 might be a closer match to 93C06. They are both 256-byte EEPROM with Microwire serial interface.

Why do you think that it needs to be replaced? As you have rightly stated, the EEPROM has to be programmed.

There is a catch. In order to program the new chip you have to obtain the correct data which can be extracted from the old chip.
If you are able to read the old chip then one would assume that the chip is functional. Hence what is the need to replace the chip?

If the chip is bad then you cannot read the data.

Catch 22.
This is the point: I don't know why, but when I replaced the 93C66 by 93C06, the air conditioner works. With the 93C66, the air conditioner doesn't work, which is the original chip the board brought in. I just put the 93C06 to give it a try and it worked. Really don't understand.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on the function of the EEPROM. Maybe it has nothing to do with the operation of the air conditioner.
Tell us the make and model of the air conditioner.
Take a well focused photo of the control board and post it here.

I'm sure @#12 would be able to tell us the purpose of the EEPROM.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
This is the point: I don't know why, but when I replaced the 93C66 by 93C06, the air conditioner works. With the 93C66, the air conditioner doesn't work, which is the original chip the board brought in. I just put the 93C06 to give it a try and it worked. Really don't understand.
Where did you get the data to program the C06?

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
It depends on the function of the EEPROM. Maybe it has nothing to do with the operation of the air conditioner.
Tell us the make and model of the air conditioner.
Take a well focused photo of the control board and post it here.

Good. I don't have the board right now, but tomorrow I will take that photo and post it here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sorry. Out of my experience level. I've never seen an A/C with an EEPROM in it. The usual thing is to use an MCU to program in a restart delay for the compressor and a finish delay for the interior fan. The only thing I could guess at is a PID controller for a really large system. Otherwise, you don't need any memory for an air conditioner.