Can Someone Steer Me?

treewhacker

Joined Aug 16, 2005
I am working on a system to keep an oil pump running for 5 to 10 seconds after I shut my snowmobile off. The reason for this is to scavenge residual oil away from my turbo.Any help will be greatly appreciated......Thanks in advance.....Bill

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

have you considered using a monostable timer? it's just a matter of synchronizing your engine shut off and turning on your timer for your desired time.

moz

treewhacker

Joined Aug 16, 2005
Originally posted by mozikluv@Aug 16 2005, 02:27 AM
hi

have you considered using a monostable timer? it's just a matter of synchronizing your engine shut off and turning on your timer for your desired time.

moz
[post=9682]Quoted post[/post]​
Would that be simple and inexpensive? To be honest I don't even know what that is. I don't want anything fancy, just a delay so the electric oil pump runs for a few seconds after shutting the engine off.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by treewhacker@Aug 17 2005, 12:20 AM
How about it? Anyone willing to help?
[post=9703]Quoted post[/post]​
hi tree,

i don't want to venture out on how to interconnect the timer to your snowmobile electrical system coz am not familiar with it. this is i believe the 1st time a problem of this sort has ever been posted.

so just be patient, am sure a member will surely help you on this.:lol: :lol:

Texas

Joined Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by treewhacker@Aug 16 2005, 02:53 PM
I am working on a system to keep an oil pump running for 5 to 10 seconds after I shut my snowmobile off. The reason for this is to scavenge residual oil away from my turbo.Any help will be greatly appreciated......Thanks in advance.....Bill
[post=9680]Quoted post[/post]​
A cheap and reliable way is to use a driving light relay the conacts to turn on the pump. The contacts will need there own power feed so they do not go throught the ignition key but fused and feed from the battery.

The relay has a 100 Ω and a very larg electrolytic cap (in series with the resistor to provide a slow charge cct - diode is blocking) in parralel with it. Across the resistor is a diode the bar to plus volts (non-conducting when the power is on).

The relay gets its power from the pumps power circuitory (so the wires that feed power to the pump now turn on the relay). When the ignition is turned of the diode now shorts the resistor with the relay and discharging through it - slowly. The relay will operate imediately when the ignition is turned on because the lag cct is in parrallel with it the cap charging through the diode. A big cap is needed (~500ufabout 50V should be stacks).

Across the pump put an old ignition cap - this will suppress the discharge spark when the relay eventually opens and truns off the pump. If I knew how to add a cct I could draw this for you.

The pump will be inductive so the cap is required to lenghten the life of the relay contacts - but the current should not be an issues. - Good Luck