Can someone solder this for me?

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I have a prototype project that I'm working on and it involves one QFN-24 (4x4mm) chip. I have never soldered a chip this small before and I have tried many different methods of soldering and I can't make all connections work. Right now I have 4 of these chips and PCBs (it's basically just a breakout board for the chips 11x11mm). I plan to receive 20 more later. Maybe as a favor or for a small cost, someone with more tools/experience could do this for me? I am located in the US and I'd prefer that you are too, so the shipping time is fast. Let me know if you can help! Thanks.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Let me know if you can help! Thanks.
Synaps3, I find your request perfectly reasonable as this is a place to ask for help from others.

You can probably do it yourself if you use the right technique. Have a look at
and
and see if that helps.

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Send it my way.
I'll send you a PM later. I have four of them and I really only need at least one to work so that I can test the prototype. If I need more I can have a company do it if necessary.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
R!f@@ is in the Maldive Islands so shipping could be slow or expensive and of course it's so close to sea level that the islands could be swamped by the wake of a passing Jet Ski at any time. ;)

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
The soldering may not be as trivial as you think. They are the QFN type with the pads on the bottom.
I realize that. I have never done this type of soldering so I am not your best guide. OTOH, I talk to a guy who repairs laptops and he tells me he replaces the video chips (hundreds of surface contacts) himself. He says he cleans everything well, applies soldering paste, places chip in place, applies pressure with some sort of holding vice to hold it securely in place and then applies heat. I guess the heat application part is where you have to be careful to apply enough but not too much.

If you can get some cheap chips you can practice and see how it goes. It seems like a skill worth having.