Can someone let me know something about this object please ?

Htin Aung

Joined May 29, 2016
Hello my dearest technolohists,

Recently I bought an old PC power supply from a budget shop to recycle some components from it.But I'm really confusing to indentify when i see this transformer like object.At first, I glad to see as I'm thinking it is a Step Down transformer to recycle for my mini amp. But it has just two wires. All I really can do is just typing letters everything on it at google search and connect my multimeter's probes to it's wires. But no result at all on google and
when I test with multimeter ,it's resistance is just ZERO (may be damaged or something else).However I couldn't help myslf to satisfied without knowing about it. Please let me know what kind of component is that.

With best respects,

Amyutay
Electronic enthusiastic.
Maymyo,Myanmar.
View attachment 243278View attachment 243279View attachment 243277

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Your post teels me there should be 3 attachments.
They however give errors.
Can you repost the attachments?

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The black part on the back is the power entry, type IEC C14.
power connectors.png
The yellow part is a choke, basicaly a large coil.

Bertus

Htin Aung

Joined May 29, 2016
Hello,

The black part on the back is the power entry.
The yellow part is a choke, basicaly a large coil.

Bertus
Thanks alot Sir. I really confusing is just because of yellow one.
In addition, will u explain about its function, is zero ohm normal or not ,directions of uses or how can I reuse it?

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
is zero ohm normal
Yes. Multimeters read the resistance using direct current (DC) and chokes like these usually have a very low resistance. However, other equipment such as a LCR or an impedance bridge make the measurement of the impedance (using alternating current) - that is where chokes like these have more significant values. Just keep in mind also that impedance depends on the choke's construction and the frequency of the alternating current).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes. Multimeters read the resistance using direct current (DC) and chokes like these usually have a very low resistance. However, other equipment such as a LCR or an impedance bridge make the measurement of the impedance (using alternating current) - that is where chokes like these have more significant values. Just keep in mind also that impedance depends on the choke's construction and the frequency of the alternating current).
In the photo the meter was set to diode check, not resistance. That is a far different check. The object does look a bit like an inductor, a filter choke. But now I am wondering about the rest of the assembly because usually they do not use connectors because they add to the cost.

Htin Aung

Joined May 29, 2016
In the photo the meter was set to diode check, not resistance. That is a far different check. The object does look a bit like an inductor, a filter choke. But now I am wondering about the rest of the assembly because usually they do not use connectors because they add to the cost.
In the photo the meter was set to diode check, not resistance
Oh no, I'm so sorry Sir.
I thought it can check resistance also as next scale is 200ohm and so may be it is also for <200 ohm.
I admit I'm not familiar with digital multimeters and I just bought it last afew days.
Now I knew my mistaken on my multimeter.I realized at your point.
If not, I'll be remain the same in wrong way.
Thank you so much for your confute.
God blessed you :)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A multimeter is a very useful tool for most people in the electrical and electronicsfields. The one in the photo appears to have many ranges and many functions, so it should be quite useful. If you are able to get some failed electronic devices you will be able to measure th resistance and capacitance and gain experience using your meter. That is a way to learn without having to pay for classes.

Htin Aung

Joined May 29, 2016
A multimeter is a very useful tool for most people in the electrical and electronicsfields.
Yes I understand Sir, The first multimeter I used was a analog military used from my dead grandfather.
(who was a General at Electronic communication section in Myanmar army but military man never shares any technology or even a basic of electronic what he learned to a civilian(me) until his dead although he knows what i want to and left me just as an inquisitive one)
However ,I knew it is too different when I see a modern analog multimeter.
Then I bought my previous analog one on 2012.It was long lasting but I loss it last weekend and I bought current one. I didn't try to know how different it is from my previous one until my realizing about diode check is not for resistance.
As my native language is Burmese and I'm not good at English.So, may be some of my phrases or words or gramma on my threads and replies will conflict to what I mean .
Sorry for that Sir. I'm trying the best myself for better English.

Thank you so much.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Don't worry about your english.
It is quite good readable.
There are many non-english users over here.
My native language is dutch, but in my work I will have to use english many times, as I visit international companies and universities for my job.

Bertus

Hello my dearest technolohists,

Recently I bought an old PC power supply from a budget shop to recycle some components from it.But I'm really confusing to indentify when i see this transformer like object.At first, I glad to see as I'm thinking it is a Step Down transformer to recycle for my mini amp. But it has just two wires. All I really can do is just typing letters everything on it at google search and connect my multimeter's probes to it's wires. But no result at all on google and
when I test with multimeter ,it's resistance is just ZERO (may be damaged or something else).However I couldn't help myslf to satisfied without knowing about it. Please let me know what kind of component is that.

With best respects,

Amyutay
Electronic enthusiastic.
Maymyo,Myanmar.
View attachment 243278View attachment 243279View attachment 243277
Without seeing it, it's probably an inductor. Depends on what kind of power supply it is. All switching power supplies use an inductor to provide energy storage. It could also be just a noise choke.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes I understand Sir, The first multimeter I used was a analog military used from my dead grandfather.
(who was a General at Electronic communication section in Myanmar army but military man never shares any technology or even a basic of electronic what he learned to a civilian(me) until his dead although he knows what i want to and left me just as an inquisitive one)
However ,I knew it is too different when I see a modern analog multimeter.
Then I bought my previous analog one on 2012.It was long lasting but I loss it last weekend and I bought current one. I didn't try to know how different it is from my previous one until my realizing about diode check is not for resistance.
As my native language is Burmese and I'm not good at English.So, may be some of my phrases or words or gramma on my threads and replies will conflict to what I mean .
Sorry for that Sir. I'm trying the best myself for better English.

Thank you so much.
Your english has been entirely adequate so far. I understand that there are people from all around the world participating and so I am quite careful about understanding what is asked. And I try to provide good advice.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I thought it can check resistance also as next scale is 200ohm and so may be it is also for <200 ohm.
A diode check range is just that, diode checker, a diode requires a forward current to bias it, this is why you cannot check a diode with the high impedance-low current Ohms range.
The reading on the diode scale is actually the voltage drop across the diode.

Htin Aung

Joined May 29, 2016
A diode check range is just that, diode checker, a diode requires a forward current to bias it, this is why you cannot check a diode with the high impedance-low current Ohms range.
The reading on the diode scale is actually the voltage drop across the diode.
Thank you so much sir..