Can someone explain the hookup in this video?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
He explains how to use the integration function on a scope but he sort of glosses right over the initial hookup. How does he get that initial curve? What does he have his probe hooked to? He mumbles something about a "micro current". I am not exactly sure what that is.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
But what does it do and how does he use it to measure power consumption of his circuit?
From the specifications, it appears the device is a precision current-to-voltage converter with a very low burden resistance. I assume he's measuring current and voltage, multiplying them to obtain power, and integrating the result to obtain energy consumed.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
From the specifications, it appears the device is a precision current-to-voltage converter with a very low burden resistance. I assume he's measuring current and voltage, multiplying them to obtain power, and integrating the result to obtain energy consumed.

Any idea what his scope probe hookup looks like?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So how would one measure power consumption with a scope? Is it possible? Which opens a broader conversation. I understand how FFV is used. But what about all of those other math functions.

Why would I want to square root a signal? Or add, multiply, subtract?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
His 'Red Box' just converts the small current into a standard value of voltage for each unit of current measured for the scope to capture and display. Each scope math function is a transformation of signals. With the integration function you transform continuous changing values over time into one total value using x number samples of y to get a running z value for those number of samples.

https://www.electrical4u.com/basic-signal-operations/

You might use the subtraction function to look for differences between signals or multiplication to see when both are present.

Last edited: