Can someone explain how I would solve this diode problem?

Yes I stand by my analysis.
Yes I determined the max voltage was 4.5 volts which was derived mathematically
Yes I had to select a voltage less than 4.5 volts to satisfy the requirements of the circuit based on the above statement.
Yes the above requires knowledge of ohm's law and math which equals education.
Educationally calculated means I didn't just pick some number out my you know what.
Saying you "selected" a voltage sounds like picking an arbitrary value. Can you elucidate the mathematical process that led to a value of 4 volts rather than 3 volts, or some other value?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes I stand by my analysis.
Yes I determined the max voltage was 4.5 volts which was derived mathematically
Yes I had to select a voltage less than 4.5 volts to satisfy the requirements of the circuit based on the above statement.
Yes the above requires knowledge of ohm's law and math which equals education.
Educationally calculated means I didn't just pick some number out my you know what.

Give me a break. We are talking about a hypothetical problem here involving voltage,current and resistance. What's next you want to know the temperature of the diode, is it on a heatsink?
Finally I can't resist any longer. I believe you and others who disagree with my analysis can't think outside the box because you have over analyzed the problem. Kind of like can't see the forest for the trees.
SG
Funny, that’s my impression of you.

I have no respect for anyone who makes up their own rules and insists that everyone who refuses to play by them is wrong.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Funny, that’s my impression of you.

I have no respect for anyone who makes up their own rules and insists that everyone who refuses to play by them is wrong.
I didn't make up any rules or ever insist that my way was the only way and you have no right to imply that. I simply showed a procedure to calculate a value for R2. The fact that you disagree with that indicates that we must all play by your rules.

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Can you elucidate the mathematical process that led to a value of 4 volts rather than 3 volts, or some other value?
Yes. 4.5v -.5v = 4v, done. I used 4 volts because it was a nice even number that would define a nice even value of R3 + D
which just so happened to define a nice even value for R2. It doesn't need to be extra complicated by having to use fractions.

Last edited: