can someone explain how capacitor can store and output pulses?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by athena kiran, Apr 27, 2018.

1. athena kiran

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    am using capacitor which is charged and discharged by power MOSFET.sometimes the pulses are sustained, sometimes they become biphasic, sometimes they collapse.I have attached a data in which I gave 1millisecond 5 pulses and 5millisecond 5 pulses and recorded their peak to peak in y axis of graph .a,b,c,d,e are polyster capaciors in increasing order of capacitance from microfarad to millifarad in x axis of graph.The higher the capacitance the more pulse it can store ,but capacitor a shows max peak to peak voltage.can someone explain this

2. dendad

Distinguished Member

Feb 20, 2016
    I don't really understand you question, and I don't think you really understand a capacitor.
    One way you can think of a capacitor, if it is used as a filter across the signal, is like a water tank. A squirt of water (pulse) like from a hand water pump, goes into the tank. The flow of water out is not a squirt, it is more like a steady stream. The pulses are smoothed out to an average flow.
    Just realize that this is a fairly poor illustration of one use of a capacitor, but this illistration does hold water ;)

-live wire- likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Hence the old term 'Reservoir' capacitor.
    Max.

dendad and -live wire- like this.
  4. athena kiran

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I am using capacitor here as energy storage element .and thus i couldn't explain what i found in the graph.pk to pk values are from the oscilloscope.

5. dendad

Distinguished Member

Feb 20, 2016
    You really need to show a circuit, and the measuring points. I'm still unclear as to what you are actually doing and asking.