can i use this info?

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
To whom it may concern:

i an giving a electrical presentation and i was hoping to use some of your explaniations. it this matterial copyrighted or public and if so who can i go about getting premission?

thanks BW

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
To whom it may concern:

i an giving a electrical presentation and i was hoping to use some of your explaniations. it this matterial copyrighted or public and if so who can i go about getting premission?

thanks BW
From the DSL please reference:

3. Copying and distribution
Permission is granted to distribute, publish or otherwise present verbatim copies of the entire Source Data of the Work, in any medium, provided that full copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty, where applicable, is conspicuously published on all copies, and a copy of this License is distributed along with the Work.

Permission is granted to distribute, publish or otherwise present copies of the Object Form of the Work, in any medium, under the terms for distribution of Source Data above and also provided that one of the following additional conditions are met:

(a) The Source Data is included in the same distribution, distributed under the terms of this License; or

(b) A written offer is included with the distribution, valid for at least three years or for as long as the distribution is in print (whichever is longer), with a publicly-accessible address (such as a URL on the Internet) where, for a charge not greater than transportation and media costs, anyone may receive a copy of the Source Data of the Work distributed according to the section above; or

(c) A third party's written offer for obtaining the Source Data at no cost, as described in paragraph (b) above, is included with the distribution. This option is valid only if you are a non-commercial party, and only if you received the Object Form of the Work along with such an offer.

You may copy and distribute the Work either gratis or for a fee, and if desired, you may offer warranty protection for the Work.

The aggregation of the Work with other works which are not based on the Work -- such as but not limited to inclusion in a publication, broadcast, compilation, or other media -- does not bring the other works in the scope of the License; nor does such aggregation void the terms of the License for the Work.

The DSL brings an issue here, since is very similar to the GNU FDL.
Can we ask what the issue is? Since this e-book is published under the DSL, unless there is a direct correlation with the GNU FDU then I'm not sure how such similarities could present an issue. It would be interesting to know if there is an issue that needs attention.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I don't know if the GNU GPL includes itself as copyleft, but you should check if similarity is a problem. If you read the GNU GPL you will see some similarities, especially with GNU GPL version 2. It looks like and adapted GNU license for documents. The term "Source Data" would be a bit odd applied here. Also, I can't find this license as OSI approved in opensource dot org.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I don't know if the GNU FDL includes itself as copyleft, but such similarity should not be a problem.
Ok, thanks. The number of licenses these days makes it a little confusing to know where we stand when it comes to making the information available. I'm not sure of the origins of the DSL for the AAC e-book, however it is IMO suitable for purpose.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ok, thanks. The number of licenses these days makes it a little confusing to know where we stand when it comes to making the information available. I'm not sure of the origins of the DSL for the AAC e-book, however it is IMO suitable for purpose.

Dave
Sorry, meant GPL instead. Altered the post. Nevertheless, FDL has some similarities too, but not as noticeable.

You can check it with GNU. If there is a problem, revoge the license.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sorry, meant GPL instead. Altered the post. Nevertheless, FDL has some similarities too, but not as noticeable.

You can check it with GNU. If there is a problem, revoge the license.
It is not my decision on the licensing of the text, however I appreciate the clarification. Thanks.

Dave