Can I Use Surge Arrester with multiple Input ?

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Can I Connect DC Surge Arrester Negative and Positive to Main DC Feeder Came From SMPS and also to one special branch circuit (that load is outdoor, so I worry if lightning voltage contacts with this branch circuit and burn up all things that connected to DC load) ?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Is lightning really that big a concern where you are? I had a CB antenna on the roof of one house. A severe storm came up and I was concerned for my radio. I wanted to unplug it but was too scared to grab the antenna lead, so I left it alone. Better to lose a radio than to lose a life. It never got hit. But I know they do get hit.

Ronnie421

Joined Apr 9, 2021
Can I Connect DC Surge Arrester Negative and Positive to Main DC Feeder Came From SMPS and also to one special branch circuit (that load is outdoor, so I worry if lightning voltage contacts with this branch circuit and burn up all things that connected to DC load) FaceTime PC ?
No problem plugging all that into one surge protector.

I'd highly recommend NOT plugging your PC directly into the wall socket. Surge protector minimum, UPS backup preferred.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
No problem plugging all that into one surge protector.

I'd highly recommend NOT plugging your PC directly into the wall socket. Surge protector minimum, UPS backup preferred.
Not a PC, special branch circuit is DIY radio receiver and transmitter also weather station, that is 14 meters high, it was protected by lightning arrester, also grounded metal-box, and also grounded steel pipe, and if I protect only DC feeder by surge arrester if that circuit branch is hit by lightning transient voltage maybe can damage another branch circuit in same busbar, there is about 48 branch circuit but feeder is protected, but if I protect this branch circuit and feeder, I think all DC circuit is safe, also power supply input have dedicated T2 and T3 AC surge arrester

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Is lightning really that big a concern where you are? I had a CB antenna on the roof of one house. A severe storm came up and I was concerned for my radio. I wanted to unplug it but was too scared to grab the antenna lead, so I left it alone. Better to lose a radio than to lose a life. It never got hit. But I know they do get hit.
Nearly Same Case but with Weather Station Circuit, also with Complex DC wiring in entire building, same DC system is also connected to CCTV, smart home system, lighting system, and more, if that special circuit is hit by lightning also another DC apparatus can be damaged and personal injury can occur

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Nearly Same Case but with Weather Station Circuit, also with Complex DC wiring in entire building, same DC system is also connected to CCTV, smart home system, lighting system, and more, if that special circuit is hit by lightning also another DC apparatus can be damaged and personal injury can occur
Look at spark gap arresters.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Had that as an idea earlier too. Just never mentioned it. Not 100% sure how effective they can be. But it's another good thing to look-into.
A good gas discharge spark gap is very effective. I'd mentioned it earlier, but I think it went past unnoticed.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
They should be close to the grounding point as possible and before whatever is being protected.
OK... Can I make lightning rod terminal DIY with GDT ?, lightning rod with attached multiple GDT in parallel ?, maybe 128x GDT in parallel

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Like this... but with multiple GDT, maybe about 100x GDT, output (down) is welded to busbar and busbar is connected to ground with BC wire and cable connector, also input (up) is connected to copper rod (8mm), and to center is (25mm), and welded together at top, do you think that design can effectively absorbs lightning voltage ?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I think - don't know - that once a spark is initiated it will conduct through the plasma it generated at the time of the arc and should drain most if not all the energy to ground. Again, "I THINK!"